Copyright and Year script for your footer

(Dave) #1

Now that a new year is upon us, it’s time to update the footer on your sites to reflect the new year. Rather than insert the date, though, use this auto-updating script and forget about it. Each year, on January 1st, the date will roll over to the new year. (the © = copyright)

&copy; <script>document.write(new Date().getFullYear())</script>

(Graham Jackson) #2

It’s great little piece of script and saved faffing about every year. Thanks @dave

(Doug Bennett) #3

Nice time saver if you’re going to change your date, but you may want to at least add the original year of copyright. Oldest date wins in copyright disputes.

(Gabrielle Vickery) #4

I agree with you @teefers, I always though that copyright pertains to the year the site was created, therefore you have ‘protected’ the site from it’s conception forward.

(Dave) #5

I can’t speak for other countries, but from a US perspective, straight from the source at copyright.gov, US law no longer requires the use of a copyright notice.

So, there you go - you don’t need a copyright notice at all if you’re in the US. I keep mine up-to-date simply because I like the look of it better than a date that’s three or four years old.