Copyright and Year script for your footer

Now that a new year is upon us, it’s time to update the footer on your sites to reflect the new year. Rather than insert the date, though, use this auto-updating script and forget about it. Each year, on January 1st, the date will roll over to the new year. (the © = copyright)

&copy; <script>document.write(new Date().getFullYear())</script>

12 Likes

It’s great little piece of script and saved faffing about every year. Thanks @dave

2 Likes

Nice time saver if you’re going to change your date, but you may want to at least add the original year of copyright. Oldest date wins in copyright disputes.

3 Likes

I agree with you @teefers, I always though that copyright pertains to the year the site was created, therefore you have ‘protected’ the site from it’s conception forward.

1 Like

I can’t speak for other countries, but from a US perspective, straight from the source at copyright.gov, US law no longer requires the use of a copyright notice.

So, there you go - you don’t need a copyright notice at all if you’re in the US. I keep mine up-to-date simply because I like the look of it better than a date that’s three or four years old.

1 Like

Many thanks, Dave.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’m new to RapidWeaver and having read this thread, I’m wondering if there is an add-on that allows me to insert a date and time in a footer, or perhaps on the index page? Example format: 29 March 2024. 13:02

Hi, in fact there’s a lot. Maybe you could give a look to the rapidweavermarketplace.

Fab - thank you !!