Foundry or Foundation, what is more complete and future proof?

Thank you so much Doug for this reply! This has for sure helped me with getting to a decision. :pray:

This will be the main Foundation guide, Joe’s still working on it but it’s a good starter for a bit more information.

1 Like

Thanks Gary, that is a helpful link!

Very solid response, @teefers
Sums it up pretty much.

(I went for Foundry because I use Bootstrap for my day job very often)

3 Likes

A great response by @teefers. I have used Foundation and Foundry before I decided to stick with Foundry. As previously mentioned, Foundation has a steep learning curve and Foundry does not. Adam at Foundry is also great at responding to support requests and the videos and documentation are first class. You also asked about a member site and I would have to say that, for me, it is Sitelok. Again support and documentation from Adrian at Sitelok is first class. I would also suggest that you look into the Sitelok Stack, after getting up to speed on Sitelok (Weaver’s Space) is a good investment as it will save you a lot of time. In short, Foundry plus Sitelok is a powerful combination for me. I based my selection on ease of use, reference documentation/videos and support.

5 Likes

Thanks Frank for your advise!

Source by Shaking the Habitual is worth a look. It’s free to start out with and it can grow with your ability.

4 Likes

I began with Foundry but went to Foundation for a very strange reason: I was never able to get my web fonts working with Foundry, but discovered that Foundation explicitly plays well with typography.com, which is what I use. But since then, there have been quite a number of things about Foundation that seem to operate how I think they should operate, while Foundry was a steeper learning curve for me. So I’m happy for that weird little reason that helped me make the change.

2 Likes

+1

I recently started looking into Sitelok (again) and I think I might do further sites with memberships (or any other restricted content) with RW and Sitelok and move away from Wordpress for the most of the usecases.

2 Likes

Foundry for sure.

2 Likes

I did choose Foundation 6 (coming from Foundation 1) and never looked back. Learning curve, but (nearly) no limits…!

5 Likes

I’m also having ‘which camp to join’ dilemma, so this discussion is great. I’ve been reading about all of these systems for months now, while making several sites with just various stacks and raw code, no themes involved (though I did try several).

I fear I’ve fallen into the ‘solving of problems’ leading to looking for ‘stacks as solutions’ trap, instead of seeing stacks as time savers. Looking for a more unified system to build upon makes the most sense. There is some really insightful info shared here. It still sounds like you can’t know your best fit, until you have tried several of these systems.

I do like manuals. Videos are helpful to see how to interface with the stack, and to hear how people think about using things. Videos are awful as a reference. You can’t search for a specific setting, you have view a whole video to see if it answers your questions (if it’s even in your language). I’m very happy to see a manual is evolving for Foundation.

Great developers, and these forum participants are fantastic at clearing up questions.

3 Likes

That’s what I like with Foundry, (almost) every Stack has his online documention linked in the Stack info. If I need to know something, I just click on “Show online help”.

5 Likes

Thank you all for your comments and advice! I decided to go for Foundation 6, following the video’s now, in the meantime also started looking into Source and built a first website that looks ok.

My next thing to do is start building this website with Foundation as well.

1 Like

Amen to that.

The F6 learning curve is very steep.

4 Likes

At least we got something to do during the lockdown now! :laughing:
I am not afraid of the steep learning curve, I see it as a challenge that I take, take one step at the time, try to understand as much as possible. In the meantime the website that I have are still running fine, I just want to be able to develop my own designs and ideas and not limited to what a theme can offer.

2 Likes

A little more steep, not ‘very steep’ imho.
The pay-off is huge, there’s very little that can’t be done with F6… also imo.

4 Likes

Thank you all, in the meantime I have been studying Joe’s videos and have been able to create my first website with Foundation 6 stacks :smile: :trophy:

Thanks @joeworkman!

Let me know what you think, for sure I will change things here and there in the future as more functionality will be required over time.
the link: www.talkgerman.biz

3 Likes

The exercising goes on, just finished my next site https://monnee.in
Actually a great way to miss out on Netflix etc, this has been keeping me busy up to the point of figuring out why things don’t work until they do :smile:
One point on the recent regular updates, @joeworkman why is it when I update foundation stack 6 and foundation 6 swatches only the swatches shows actively being updated, the stack 6 is just hanging there in the update window, I have to restart to get update window disappear.

I see the same with F6 updates, the update never shows as complete so I leave the update window open for a few minutes then restart RW.