FTP local server login problems using Apple Server

I am building a website offline, to replace my Wordpress version. I am using Alloy Editor and trying to practice posting online. I have installed Apple server on my iMac (Mojave) in order to create an FTP that means I can access the editor function on my news page. I am not sure why but I cannot log in to the FTP server and received an error message each time,. I think it may be due to the desired Path, which as a beginner to all this is beyond me. How do I find the path to my Apple server?

I’m assuming you are talking about MacOS Server? I haven’t used the old OS-X server in several years, but I thought they had removed a lot of the Web functionality. I think you might find using MAMP(the free version would work) might be a bit easier to set up and keep going if what you want is a local web server environment.

With MAMP (and probably MacOS Server) you wouldn’t need to use an FTP file transfer since the files would be on your local drive. You would change the RapidWeaver Publishing Method under Publishing settings to a Local Folder.

Within MAMP you can change the Document Root under Preferences > Web Server to where you want.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the advice. MacOS Server was replaced by Apple Server which has less functionality.
I have now installed MAMP and can use the Alloy editor function but it does not talk to my RapidWeaver project. I have linked RapidWeaver to the Posts folder which is “talking” to MAMP but the chain is not complete.

In other words I can use the Alloy Editor to create posts on the MAMP hosted website, but they are not captured by RW, although both MAMP and RW appear to be linked to the Posts folder. Not sure how to proceed.

I don’t have Alloy, but my understanding of what’s it about is a “flat-file blogging” system.

That would probably tell me that doing updates on a website would update the flat-file stored on the server. That wouldn’t automatically update the RapidWeaver project. It won’t matter if the web server is MAMP or a hosting company web server.

As I said I don’t have it but perhaps there’s a way to “copy” the flat-file back into Rapidweaver. Perhaps Adam(@Elixir) or someone more familiar with ALloy can comment.

1 Like

There is no need as the posts aren’t created, edited or deleted within RapidWeaver. Everything is done through the backend Editor stack you setup on your site. Or if you’re adventurous you can edit the markdown files directly on your server.

The posts all live on your site’s server and never exist inside of RapidWeaver itself.

OK, but for the first time website user (me) this is hard to follow.
I want to create an offline website in RapidWeaver using Alloy etc, that looks better and is easier to curate than my current WordPress-based live website.
I.e. the new RW-based site will have the same content (posts) and images, but with a cleaner look.
The Alloy, Editor tutorial video assumes (unless I have misunderstood) that that the website is already live. Mine is not.
I have built a nice looking Home Page in RapidWeaver and now want to add posts to my news page.
Once done, I will move on to the remaining two pages and then go live with the new look website.
But to proceed I need to be able to post the content. I accept that I am not able to do this because I lack the content management system expertise.
I am doing something wrong with accessing the post folder and have spent hours trying all types of combinations of settings
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I’ver not tested Alloy on a MAMP setup, but if you’ve given proper read / write permissions to your MAMP directories then Alloy should create the posts folder and allow you to write and save your posts via the editor I would suspect. Alloy isn’t designed around this specific corner case though.

When you’ve used the Editor to create posts from your MAMP published site have you checked to see if the Posts folder was created and whether your posts were saved to the folder?

I have now uninstalled MAMP. I deleted the news page I was working on and created a fresh one and went through the procedure in the tutorial (getting started). The trouble begins when you launch the FTP version (2.16 minutes in the video) and you load the page in Safari (3.16), I do not see the Alloy logo etc. I am publishing via a posts folder on my desktop, but the steps you describe in the video do not take place for me. When I had MAMP launched I was able to generate a hashed password and log in, but the posts I created thereafter did not appear in the editor within RW. I was also unable to log out from the editor on the website as there did not appear to be a button etc to do so.
The Editor in RW is not usable when I click inside. The view, edit and create a new post buttons are not active (the cursor does not make them work).
I must be doing something wrong at the earliest stage.
When I use another theme, with a built in ‘editor’ [not that of Alloy] I am able to created, editor and view on the news page. However, those themes are not visually appealing.

Let’s start here…

You don’t create, edit, or delete post in RW. Alloy does not work that way. Posts are manipulated one of two ways – through the online Editor stack or manually by uploading your own Markdown files to your server via FTP.

It sounds like you might not be watching through the videos for the Editor stack… Watch through these videos, in this order:

Getting Started

Editor Stack Setup

Using the Editor

These three videos will get your blog page setup, as well as your Editor, and show you how to use the Editor. If you follow these steps, and publish to your server, you should be good to go.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.