How do I remove a Tag from a Stack?

I tagged a few stacks by accident. How do I remove the tags? Right click does not work.

I believe those are set by the developer and can not be modified.

@zeebe is correct.

Joe and Robert are correct, they are much more knowledgeable than I, the tags are set by the developer. While those same developers may frown on this :slightly_smiling_face: I believe they are editable (or used to be). Forgive me as it’s been a while and I’m away from a computer at the moment…but I’ve edited these in the past by viewing contents of the stack file in finder and editing a pref file. I’ll take a look in a bit and post here.

Thanks all. I think that the tagged stacks are tagged by the developer, but they don’t appear in the tagged group until I click on the “Tag” in the stack info box. So I guess my question is; how do I remove them from the “Tagged” stacks group?

I tagged another stack, now the others disappeared and others are now tagged in the tagged folder. OK, so it’s not making any sense to me.

Oops I must have misunderstood…my post was regarding changing the actual tag.

Okay, you clicked on a “tag” in the stack discription when you have a particular stack selected. This created a Tag group automatically. (first time I have seen this feature, BTW) You should be able to delete that group, but it is greyed out. That is an @isaiah question…

If you restart RW this group goes away!

Yes. Restarting RW and the tagged group goes away. So it’s confirmed that it doesn’t make any sense!

Just for anyone who’s interested here is what I mentioned earlier (albeit not what the OP is looking for, a bit tedious, and perhaps no longer needed with recent grouping improvements within stacks 4). One can edit or add any number of tags they wish in the actual stack by:

1. right clicking on stack - show in finder
  2. right click on the actual stack file - show package contents
  3. open the info.plist file
  4. edit tags there…I think they generally fall under and <array> tag but that can vary…regardless it’s easy to find the tags.
  5. edit as you wish and save the .plist file. Changes will appear upon rapidweaver launch.

Attached is an example with FlatButton 2

One

Three

Four

1 Like

It is OK to do this if you really want to… though I would not recommend it because when a stack gets updated that tag will go away as the whole stack gets replaced during an update.

So in your example, if I push out an update for Flat Button 2, that tag will go away and you’ll be back to Buttons, Responsive, Link and Layout tags only.

2 Likes

That is not what I want. I would like an explanation as to how adding a stack into the temporary tagged folder is beneficial, and what the purpose of the tagged group is if it only stays for one session (quit and restart RW and it is gone).

@Elixir is correct and raises a good point. I still think that Stacks 4 offers some powerful tag and grouping capabilities that should work well for most of us.

@bruce great question. Perhaps someone can chime in with the logic/reasoning or note it as a bug. I’m unsure of the answer unfortunately.

1 Like

clicking on a tag doesn’t add/change/modify anything, it just gives you a view of all of the items in your library that share that tag. it’s just like searching for a specific tag, but there’s no typing required – and this is a very narrow search, limited to just tags, whereas the normal search bar searches through titles, subtitles, tags, descriptions, etc.

why was this feature added?

when i added it, i guess it was mostly a “why not” feature. it was very easy to add, required no extra UI work (tag items and tag groups are built in UI to macOS), and most importantly, it didn’t add any complexity to Stacks, that is it didn’t make anything else harder to use.

what do i personally use this feature for?

often a developer will add a specific tag to a group of stacks – like Foundation or Foundry.

often i’d like to create a permanent folder of these stacks, or more often, just a few of them.

i could scroll around and hunt for them. or just type in a search phrase to find them, but if i have one of those stacks already selected then it’s a just a single click and, boom, you instantly find them all.

from there it’s easy to select the few that i need drag them to a permanent folder.

3 Likes

@isaiah, thanks for the clarification. Now I see how “tags” work. I can see them being useful for some.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.