Index.html seems corrupted?

While using Transit to check if my website made it to the server a file titled index.html appears. (Normal) When I click it it has access to all the files on my desktop. Is that normal? Is that safe? (I know it’s not safe…) I deleted the file… what could be the cause and how can I prevent access to my files?

@edmond1 Hi, No, it is not normal for a file like index.html on a web server to have access to all the files on your desktop. This behavior could indicate a serious security issue, possibly resulting from incorrect configurations or malicious code.
Here are some possible causes and steps you can take to prevent such access:
Possible Causes
1. Local File Inclusion (LFI) Vulnerability: If your web application (like PWA) has an LFI vulnerability, it might allow attackers to read files from your server that they should not have access to.
2. Misconfigured Server: If your web server is misconfigured, it might inadvertently expose sensitive directories and files.
3. Malicious Code: There might be malicious code within your index.html or other files that is attempting to access local files.
4. Improper Permissions: If the permissions on your server are too lax, files that should be restricted could be accessible to the web server.
Steps to Prevent Access
1. Check Server Configuration: Ensure your web server is configured correctly to prevent unauthorized access to files. This includes setting the correct permissions and access controls on directories.
2. Sanitize User Inputs: Make sure that all inputs to your web application are properly sanitized to prevent injection attacks and LFI vulnerabilities (header security…).
3. Use Sandboxing: Use sandboxing techniques to restrict the capabilities of your web application. This limits the damage that can be done if the application is compromised.
4. File Permissions: Set strict file permissions on your server. Only allow the web server to access files and directories that it absolutely needs to function.
5. Regular Security Audits: Conduct regular security audits and vulnerability assessments of your web application and server.
6. Update and Patch: Keep your web server software and all components of your web application up to date with the latest security patches.
For now and firstly I recommand :
1. Scan for Malware: Run a comprehensive malware scan on your system to check for any malicious software.
2. Check for Unauthorized Access: Review your server logs for any unusual or unauthorized access attempts.
3. Restore from Backup: If you suspect your system has been compromised, consider restoring from a known good backup.
Hope that helps. :crossed_fingers:

Hi @edmond1,

Can you elaborate on what you mean with “has access to all the files on my desktop”? Do you mean file permissions, or do you see something when you doubleclick the file?

Can you post a screenshot of what you see?

A simple explanation could be that somewhere on your page, you hardlink to a local destination. This will only work for you though - if I open that file, I won’t see your desktop.

Cheers,
Erwin

2 Likes

You were correct…!!! it was a hard link on the button I copied and pasted… Once I removed the link… POW!!! Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Thank you… Very much!!!

1 Like