Laptop on FIRE - RapidWeaver 7.5.5

I have asked this before… I can launch RW on my MBP without any project loaded. Within five minutes my fans are running at full speed and my laptop shoots out of my lap, hits the ceiling and fall to the floor and a ball of fire… The culprit process is “VTDecoderXPCService (6924)” which is using 190 - 250% of CPU. This process starts almost as soon as I launch RapidWeaver. The only thing I can say is that I think it has something to do with the built-in RW media library. What is the best way to direct this question to the RapidWeaver team? OR, has anyone else experienced this?

I have never experienced this, ever.

You can contact the RW team directly by emailing support@realmacsoftware.com

1 Like

I don’t remember anybody mentioning this problem—ever—with the exception of previous post by same author. Must have something to do with this particular installation of RW if it is, in fact, related to RW.

1 Like

You’ve posted about this issue on thre different posts, and no one else seams to have seen anything like this.

As it’s been suggested your best bet would be to contact Realmac support.

@Aaron @LaPan @dan

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about this issue. Sounds like it’s a nasty one. :confused:

99% sure this has nothing to do with RapidWeaver, however, I still want to help as much as I can.

What other apps do you have open, typically?

Can you try creating a new user account then opening RapidWeaver (by itself)?

@Macsterguy - I did a quick web search for the VT issue and found that VTDecoderXPCService is the sandboxing for video content. There are several apps that can cause this (Facetime, Safari, iGlasses, etc).

I suggest that you make sure no other video apps are running when you start RW and see if the problem returns. If so, then maybe it is RW. If not, a simple start of one app at a time should find the culprit.

Fred

Sorry, I just love that a guy named “smokyhills” replied to a post about Fire. lol

2 Likes

@LSPhoto - no offense taken. It’s the name of our farm.

Fred

2 Likes

I just did a Activity Monitor spin dump on the process and it says RapidWeaver is responsible - I will email support - Results:

Date/Time: 2018-06-21 15:39:16 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.5 (Build 17F77)
Architecture: x86_64h
Report Version: 26

Data Source: Stackshots

Command: VTDecoderXPCService
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/VideoToolbox.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/VTDecoderXPCService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/VTDecoderXPCService
Identifier: com.apple.coremedia.videodecoder
Version: 1.0 (1)
Build Version: 1
Project Name: CoreMedia_executables
Source Version: 2276050000000000
Parent: launchd [1]
Responsible: RapidWeaver 7 [47076]
PID: 47108

Duration: 10.01s
Steps: 1001 (10ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: MacBookPro11,1
Active cpus: 4

Time Awake Since Boot: 30000s

Fan speed: 3917 rpm (+133)

I just did a Activity Monitor spin dump on the process and it says RapidWeaver is responsible - I will email support - Results:

Date/Time: 2018-06-21 15:39:16 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.5 (Build 17F77)
Architecture: x86_64h
Report Version: 26

Data Source: Stackshots

Command: VTDecoderXPCService
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/VideoToolbox.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/VTDecoderXPCService.xpc/Contents/MacOS/VTDecoderXPCService
Identifier: com.apple.coremedia.videodecoder
Version: 1.0 (1)
Build Version: 1
Project Name: CoreMedia_executables
Source Version: 2276050000000000
Parent: launchd [1]
Responsible: RapidWeaver 7 [47076]
PID: 47108

Duration: 10.01s
Steps: 1001 (10ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: MacBookPro11,1
Active cpus: 4

Time Awake Since Boot: 30000s

Fan speed: 3917 rpm (+133)

Sorry for the double post everyone. I have just sent a support email to RealMac. Thanks for any other suggestions, comments and help

my guess would be that there is some video on your system that the RW media library accesses. and for some reason the media library wants to transcode it to a different format.

it’s really just a wild guess, but i might have a look through there to see if there are any obvious outliers.

Realmac might have some more insight, but i think digging through the media itself — adding and removing bits — might yield some good clues too.

2 Likes

The new Apple HEVC video format that is used in newer iPhones and iOS 11 is used exclusively by Apple. If you happen to use such video, it has to be transcoded to H.264 whenever it is delivered to non-Apple devices and applications. I imagine this is exactly what happens in Macsterguy’s case.

2 Likes

For a test, you could create another Mac OS X user account, login with that, start RapidWeaver, and see what’s happening.

2 Likes

Jannis, thank you for your suggestion. This was also suggested by others and I know it is a solid troubleshooting technique… I have over 40-Macs in my 38 year old business and have been using them since the first bondi-blue…

Thinking this was a RapidWeaver issue I had not tried another account yet. This is what happened when I did:

• When I rebooted into the other account and launched RW, things stayed cool as expected - no issues…
• When I switched back to my normal admin account on the MBP things have been quiet ever since. No heat or fans… That’s all I did…

Just the act of logging in as “other” user and back to mine seems to have fixed this issue. I have never seen this behavior before BUT all is well for 24-hours now. I just wish I knew what the hang-up (RapidWeaver) was but I will take it!

I would expect it was stuck transcoding something as Isaiah & Rob D suggested…?

Thanks guys!

Chris Jones, President
JONES X-RAY INC.
Over 40 Years of Service…
Office - 972-647-0171

3 Likes

I just happened to stumble upon Macworld video discussing CPU throttling and heat problems in new MacBook Pros. Perhaps you’d be interested to see it? Here is an address:

And another one, on YouTube:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.