Rock solid FTP in RW7. Am I alone?

Take a look in the Console (Applications/Utilities) if the upload breaks.

Hi, @jochenabitz, I am using a cable router with 25Mbps download/20Mbps upload speeds. Never used Little Snitch. No firewall. And all add-ons Iā€™m using are up-to-date.

Donā€™t you think that if I had a problematic bandwidth or a firewall, those conditions would also affect my 3rd party FTP application? And yet, Transmit gives me the 100%-reliabilityā€¦

@jochenabitz Iā€™m done troubleshooting FTP issues with RW. Iā€™ve lost too much time already.

1 Like

I donā€™t think that we can say that the behavior of application x is automatically the behavior for application y. There are so many conditions that can make the difference.

3 Likes

@jochenabitz ā€“Yes, that was already mentioned by Jannis, And that is probably what should be figured out: what makes RW work differently with FTP from other apps.

No problems uploading here with RW7
RW6 Was really buggy instead

Hey guys,

First of all Iā€™d like to say thanks for all the feedback regarding FTP. In RW7 we decided to completely re-build the FTP engine due to the number of customers reporting FTP issues in RW6. Iā€™m pleased to say that the new FTP engine has been a great success with over 4000 successful publishes per day. However, we also recognise that some people are still experiencing problems with FTP and while these amount to under 200 a day (including legitimate errors like invalid credentials) we understand how infuriating it must be.

I personally am in the rock solid boat and havenā€™t experienced any problems since RW7. RW6 was a different story and didnā€™t work with my server.

So, to the peeps that have problems with FTP, can you let us know the following.

What machine / OS / RW version are you using?
Are you on WiFi or wired connection?
What publishing type are you using (FTP, SFTP, FTPS, local folder)?
At what point does it go wrong?
Does RW show an error message?

Also, can you send a video showing the problem, your project file, and FTP logs to us at support@realmacsoftware.com. It would be very helpful to have your login details too so we can attempt to publish your site ourselves.

To get the FTP logs, you have to turn it on in RW preferences before performing a publish.

It might be an idea to turn off ā€œShow Notificationsā€ too, otherwise the publishing window may automatically close. When the publishing fails, click the ā€œSend Upload Logsā€ button.

I know this seems like a lot, but when we canā€™t replicate something it makes it really really hard to fix. The more information we have, the more likely weā€™ll get it fixed.

Cheers
Tom

8 Likes

FYI: Weā€™ve also updated the FTP trouble shooting guide. If youā€™re having issues, itā€™s worth running through the steps on this page: http://kb.realmacsoftware.com/article/42-how-to-fix-ftp-publishing-issues

Cheers,
Dan

3 Likes

This what I am going to do. I wanted to republish my professional website (800 pages or so) with RW7 (I used RW 6 first) and the upload stopped after one third of the publishing. I do not mind using Yummy FTP. The is that FTP usually is rather explicit in its error messages, but we do not have this in RW7. It would really help to have explicit error messages to help the dialogue between realmac and people who have problems with RW7 publishing.