RW 6.3 Publishing problems - when will it end?

HTML container

-just got 2 Apple crash reports sent off.

Iā€™d appreciate you clarifying which type of HTML ā€œcontainerā€ youā€™re using. An HTML page, or an HTML Stack?

Thanks,

ā€”N

Joe Workman HTML stack

I recently upgraded to the latest RW6 without knowing how severe this FTP was. I tried uploading my website with no success and thats when I found this forum. Has the problem been fixed? or can we opload files through a different format like filezilla? I really dont see options or solutions to this problem. Any response would be greatā€¦

I use Transmit to publish. Had problems when I started with RW in 2005 so gave it a go. Now I like the control it gives me so I havenā€™t even tried to publish with the internal RW FTP process since then. You need an FTP app like that to manage your server side files anyway so it is no big deal to me.

If you are using 6.3.2 though you might want to try downloading it again as there was a bug in it that effected publishing according to this thread.

Can I upload though filezilla?

Anything that allows you to move files from your computer to a host server will work so yes. You have to export your site to your desktop first and then copy all the files over to the correct place. Easy when you know how but the one click of RW FTP would be quicker and simpler if you can get it to work. I would have a look around the forum first if I was you as there are quite a few solutions around that might help pinpoint your particular issue and offer a solution.

Iā€™ve been pretty spoiled using the publising feature RW provides to you but with this problem it has challenged me to learn other ways to publish my website. Having said that, is there a step by step tutorial on how to do this using filezilla or Transmit? I download both, connected to the server but Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m doing it rightā€¦

Itā€™s not hard. Make a directory on your desktop. In RW click on File > Export Site and select the directory you made. This will export all the files that make up your website. Open Transmit or whatever and log in using the credentials your host has given you. Have a look at the server structure so that you can see what directory you need to put your files (mine is called ā€˜public_htmlā€™) then move them over. Donā€™t delete anything if you donā€™t know what it is.

Just an update to say that nothing has improved. The ā€œSignificant updates to RapidWeaverā€™s publishing featureā€ have created what I think is the worst version of RW6 so far. I am using 6.3 because 6.31 wouldnā€™t even preview and the ā€œimprovedā€ Crash reporter just crashed itself - just like the previous few versions.

Today, however, is a first because RW crashed and took out my Mac (again) while in the middle of a Publish All Files. A normal Publish only works about 20% of the time.

So for the next hour, I will be mostly trying to recover where I was and no doubt there will be no crash report sent in to Realmac (again).

Getting very frustratedā€¦

Drop us an email please, Gary. If a page isnā€™t previewing weā€™d like to know about it (a project file is the only way for us to look at this).

ā€”N

Iā€™d like to add my voice to the chorus of cries to fix this feature once and for all or just delete it. For years Iā€™ve struggled with it REPUBLISHING every single file needlessly. It still does. Yes, smart publishing is enabled, be it does not work. For 4 days I have been trying to upload a site with 1444 files. The first 2 times it quit at the 700 to 900 range. On trying again multiple times to finish it again began uploading ALL 1444 files. I tried my ftp program, but it had trouble with 10.10.5, so I logged in to my provider maintenance page and started uploading files by hand. Imagin my surprise to discover that not one file had actually been uploaded after close to 20 hours of upload time. I decided to hand add the homepage files. That worked. After a ton off effort I got almost everything uploaded and started online testing. I had missed a few files, so I tried to publish, and again, it wants to upload all 1444 files again, even though I know Iā€™ve probably only skiped a few, SIGH.

One page had problems on Firefox, so I changed a directory name and got rid of a sub-sub directory. Republish? 1444 files come up. Dammit. I decide to try just the page and it shows 344 files. So I am now waiting to see what really happens. At most it would seem that directories and the page html and sitemap would change, but not ALL of the images and text. If the page actually updates on the host, I think Iā€™ll just manually add the other changes by looking at the datestamp.

Please fix this.

I have found a solution to these problems which has transformed the RW experience, speeded up the process of ā€œpublishingā€, removed the frustration of using the RW Publish system and stopped RW from crashing on an almost daily basis. During the last 4 weeks RW has not crashed once and every file synced to its server has succeeded at a speed I have never seen when using RW.

I simply stopped using the RW Publishing system and now Export to a folder and then Sync using the excellent $1.99 Forklift App. RW still kicks up several confusing and I think unnecessary alerts during the Export but this is easy to live with, if a little flaky and frustrating. Forklift needed no setting up.

I can highly recommend this method and Forklift does exactly what it is supposed to do every time, quickly and without incident.

I did try the current RW6 version Publish as a trial and it did actually complete but took noticeably longer and the Export and Forklift solution is quicker.

Publishing has always been fine for me until the latest version. Now I just get time outs all the time. Iā€™ve tried changing the slider etc but nothing helps. Wonder if RW is opening, and keeping open, too many connections during publishing? Gonna be enabling the logging soon because itā€™s just getting to frustrating to work with now.

I have forklift but have been manually uploading. Will look into your method @conger. Thanks!

The central problem is that there is no smart publishing. I just made a few spacing changes to a page and right-clicked to publish the page and waited 35 minutes for 234 files to be uploaded. Well, doing that manually would have involved uploading the changed .css, .html (maybe) and .jp files for the page. No images were changed. No type was changed. and all of the Resources were uploaded again (banner images and pdfs, all unchanged).

This is unnecessary, time-consuming and frustrating. Is there any possibility of RW creating a database of each file internally, keeping track of file size &/or datestamp and then uploading ONLY actual changes?

This already happens. If youā€™re experiencing issues, and have a project that demonstrates the issue when published, please drop us a note: support@realmacsoftware.com

Thanks,

ā€”Nik

I manage over 30 RW projects and publish changes on a daily basis - some of them pretty big - and have not had a single publishing error in 6.3. Implies the problem isnā€™t so much with RW core software but some other glitch - maybe an out of date plug in ? When I had a torrid time with RW a few months back it was down to this.

Sorry itā€™s not much of a contribution but just the other side of the coinā€¦

Well that was then and now is now. With 6.3.7 and 8 I have had continuous publishing errors along the following lines. About 70-80% of publishing attempts get the ā€œfailing when receiving data from the peerā€ error and then it works perfectly at 2nd attempt.

Iā€™ve not bothered with it simply because at no point have I been completely unable to publish at all. It is annoying sometimes however, particularly when publishing a big site that you leave for a while - only to find it not fully published when you return.

Similar to my experience except maybe more like half of the time.

@manofdogz & @jabohn

I too have experienced this with 6.3.8 and it is always related to the host not being able to handle the number of connections especially if some of the site files are larger. My host recommends a connection limit between 2-4 concurrent connections, start at 4 and reduce until no more issues.

Smaller site with simple small file sizes I can max out connections, but if larger file formats like mp4ā€™s (and the like) then connections must be dropped to 2-4ā€¦

Just some feedback

Brad

1 Like