RW7 Publishing Problems-Crisis

I’m having major problems publishing my RW site. It won’t publish! This has been going on for several weeks! Sometimes when I check the publishing settings it fails. The when I try the same settings 10 seconds later, they pass. But even when the setting pass the test, the publishing still fails. I know the settings are OK because I can upload files directly to my host using Filezilla. And I’ve checked several times with my host. Everything is perfect from their end. When I try to publish, the error messages I get vary, but one says “Couldn’t sign in to your FTP server. Failure when receiving data from the peer”. Does anyone know what the hell that means!! Does anyone know a RW expert who I can contact? I’ve been emailing back and forth to the RW support people for a couple weeks, but it takes them 2-3 days to respond and when they do respond, they aren’t any help. I’m in a crisis to figure this out. I’m on RW 7.3.3. I’ve updated all my stacks (several times). I’ve tried everything to find out what’s happening, but nothing has worked. Anyone have any ideas?

If you provide more details someone can probably help you better. From your publishing setup let us know:

1. publishing method
  2. connections
  3. path
  4. mode

Those 4 bits of information should help us to help you better.

Thank Mathew.
Here’s more information on the settings. I’ve tried them all over the last couple weeks, but nothing’s helped. Here’s what I have.

Publishing method: right now it’s set for FTP ( out of desperation I’ve also tried FTPS and SFTP)
Connections: 1-slowest (again, tried them all)
Path is “/”
Mode is Extended Passive (default)

Again, I know the server info, username and password are correct because I can upload using Filefilla with those credentials.

Plus, there are times when I test the publishing setting that it fails, but then I try again a few seconds later and it passes but it still won’t publish.
Thanks again fro trying to help.

Barry,

I use 6 (fastest). And I’m not sure speed really makes a difference. Maybe set to 3.

Path looks wrong, but this really depends on the hosting company. I need to use:
public_html/

but you also may want to try
public_html (i.e. without forward slash at end)

Extended passive makes sense. Keep it.

Who is your hosting company?

If these ideas don’t work then I’m outta ideas but someone smarter than me but also be able to contribute some better suggestions.

I really don’t think it’s the publishing settings. I’ve been using RW and these settings for a long time. Nothing has changed from a settings standpoint. And except for the server address, username and password, I’ve tried changing the other settings to get it to publish. But nothing’s worked. The / path I use is set by my hosting company (GoDaddy). I think it’s a RW issue. I don’t know what that could be, but it just isn’t working. That’s why I’m looking for a RW “expert” to see if he/she could help. I’ve been reeeeeally disappointed with RW support on this issue. I’m considering converting the site to WordPress.

1 Like

Hmm … unfortunately GoDaddy works pretty differently from other hosting companies. I know @dave used GoDaddy at one point. He may be able to provide some GoDaddy specific tips.

How is your internet connection? Fast, slow, fast and slow (i.e. unstable)?

Dave or a GoDaddy user is the best source of insights here. I agree it’s all very strange.

I’ve long used GoDaddy (as well as several other hosting companies), and routinely publish to them. Your settings look correct, although I use a Connection Speed of either 3 or 4 since they limit the number of connections.

For most of my clients, I use an FTP (NOT FTPS or SFTP) and use the domain for the server. So, in the white box it will show: ftp.domainname.com

However, for one of my clients, their domain name will absolutely not work. So, for them, I use their IP Address instead: ftp.xx.xx.xx.xx

If sounds like you might be hitting the same wall I did a few years ago with this client. But, once I changed to their IP Address in the Server Field, instead of their domain, I’ve had no further issues. Oh, and I use Fetch (lol, I’ve been around a looooong time!), and never had an issue uploading using their domain name…only Rw had the issue.

As an aside- I know plenty of good people who bad mouth GoDaddy at every opportunity. I, however, have always had good customer service - and in over ten years of having some sites hosted with them, have had a total of one afternoon of downtime (they were hit with a massive DoS attack years ago). I WISH they offered Let’s Encrypt - but that’s for a different discussion.

1 Like

did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same problems and have tried everything in this thread

I’ve also had a terrible time recently with a client site on Godaddy. I could rarely upload with either RW or 3 different FTP clients. This is on an linux account migrated to a CPanel account. I have several other client sites on Godaddy for years and have not had any publishing problems with them but they may be legacy accounts. Godaddy of course was completely unhelpful. I did notice i have a better chance of connecting successfully in the morning or late at night, so I wonder if it;s due to too many accounts on the shared server logging in at the same time, but perhaps that is a wrong assumption. I wish this client would change hosts, but she just paid for three more years when I had her migrate to the CPanel account.

And using the IP address instead didn’t make a difference, unfortunately, even with Fetch. :roll_eyes:

Hey David,
Thanks for your email. I was able to publish today, tried using the IP address and thought maybe that helped…but it does seems sort of random when it works and when it simply doesn’t respond. Unfortunately, I signed up for a 1 year service just now as another RW website hosted with GD worked with ease for years. Obviously a legacy account. Would have picked a different host had a realized the troubles before.
Will make the best and see if it continues to work.
Keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks Again.

1 Like

I had publishing problems for a long time. The problems I had were very similar to others in the threads. I also tried all the solutions that were mentioned in the threads. After talking to GoDaddy, I eventually upgraded my hosting with GoDaddy to cPanel. Once I did that, the publishing problems went away! I haven’t had a publishing issue since. GoDaddy migtrated my files to the new cPanel host and I was able to publish. Be careful, though, because I assumed that ALL my GoDaddy files would be migrated, but only the webfiles were moved. Other files, like pdf’s, photos, or other non-website files were NOT migrated. So I had go go through the entire website to make sure all the necessary files were uploaded to the new cPanel host and that the links worked. Once I did that, I was good to go. I hope that helps.

I had publishing problems for a long time. The problems I had were very similar to others in the threads. I also tried all the solutions that were mentioned in the threads. After talking to GoDaddy, I eventually upgraded my hosting with GoDaddy to cPanel. Once I did that, the publishing problems went away! I haven’t had a publishing issue since. GoDaddy migtrated my files to the new cPanel host and I was able to publish. Be careful, though, because I assumed that ALL my GoDaddy files would be migrated, but only the webfiles were moved. Other files, like pdf’s, photos, or other non-website files were NOT migrated. So I had go go through the entire website to make sure all the necessary files were uploaded to the new cPanel host and that the links worked. Once I did that, I was good to go. I hope that helps.

Hmm… interesting. My experience was exactly opposite - my problems with publishing started when the account was migrated to a CPanel account, to be able to update the PHP version on the account. Godaddy tech said it’s random as to which server they put your account on, maybe you were lucky, and me and @jbro not so much…

Just a thought, which may have nothing to do with the issues here, but some time ago, on the old RW forum I think, someone recommended having a good clean out of your web server now and then, making sure the only folders and files on there are the ones required by the current version of your site.

This, plus routinely republishing all files have kept me free of the publishing problems I frequently had previously.

That is why I do a backup of the web server to my local Mac (external disk) every night. I have a complete “mirror” of my webspace. Most ftp apps have a “sync” feature to do this. I use Yummy FTP to sync my site locally.

1 Like