Shout out for Sitelok - password protection & membership software

You are going overboard & reading far more into my comments than what I said.

I am NOT attributing anything dubious or disingenuous to the product site itself.
Note: I bought on the basis of positive, complimentary comments here & the Sitelok product site.

Sitelok looks very much like what I want.
The questions came up when I found unsubstantiated gripes that people had, based upon ragtag reviews.

Hence I asked.

My point of comparison, my choices for purchase are Page Safe & Sitelok. I donā€™t know if they overlap very much, or if I have reason to run both of those simultaneously. Both sound good. (This is separate from what prompted my question).

It is possible that I have 2 very different products under discussion, with virtually the same name when it comes to the review.

Product descriptions are sometimes hard to follow. The glowing terms get in the way of telling you what a product does & you have to drill down to know what you are getting, past some of the ad-speak. That said, I donā€™t think Adrianā€™s Sitelok is obscure in that way. I expect to be happy with it, now that I see how staunch the defenders.

2 Likes

Yes, you have found negative reviews regarding a completely different product/service. Your mistake has been based in a very similar sounding name of the product. If you use the link I provided above, you will see that it has nothing to do with Sitelok (different purpose, different functionality, different company, different everything).

I admire your notion to drill for the info and reviews (I do the same), but you have to know not to mix up completely different products, no matter how similar their names areā€¦

2 Likes

Sitelok (Vibralogix) is second to none. Even I got it going with very limited coding experience. The possibilitities are breathtaking and, whatā€™s the most important for me: hashed passwords to comply to our severe data protection regulations (EU/Germany). Support is flawless. Fast, friendly and competent.
It is VERY important that RMS ensures total compatibility (preview) with the solution as it expands the reach for RapidWeaver into the enterpriseā€¦
My 10 cents

Okay, dumb question time again:

Loading Sitelok - if I have an Armadillo MySQL database set up (really nothing in it yet).
Do I create a new 2nd MySQL db for Sitelok?

And yes - not sure I messed up the name, but certainly the negative review appears to be about something different than Vibralogixā€™s Sitelok. Good to see this is a solid product.

Yes, youā€™ll create a second mySQL database. Good luck!

Thanks much for the reply. I do appreciate your time.
Seemed logical that it would require a separate db, but wasnā€™t sure.

Holiday weekend makes it unlikely I will get many responses from vendors for a few days.
I did get one from NimbleHost despite the weekend. Waiting on Vibralogix since it wasnā€™t specifically covered in their otherwise very detailed manual.

Is Sitelok still alive? I purchased it a week ago, and have contacted supported several times and have not gotten any response.

1 Like

Sitelok is still alive, but the developer lives in Britain and this is the primary holiday time there (mid-July to mid-August). It would not surprise me if the developer is away for a couple of weeks.

All that said, you should have received an automated email with download information when you purchased the product. Support might be slow, but purchasing should be fine. If you did not receive confirmation then you might want to check your spam folder.

@d4ve If you were able to download it (as Mathew said, you should have received a download link at the time of ordering it) and are having some sort of technical issue, please post back here. Itā€™s very possible that @mathew, myself, or someone else can assist you.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am using Sitelok with the paypal plugin. I thought I had everything working right, but I recently got an error about ā€œProduct not foundā€ in my debug e-mail when someone signed up. This same product worked fine a few days earlier. It registered the user in the database and sent appropriate e-mails. Nothing has changed since then, but this time I received the error and had to manually create the user.

Also, I just received another debug e-mail with the error ā€œCall not authenticatedā€. I looked up the transaction id in paypal, and it was the user who successfully registered through sitelok a few days earlier. No idea why I would get that e-mail out of nowhere. Any ideas on what to check?

Unfortunately, I havenā€™t yet used Sitelok with Paypal, so I wouldnā€™t be of any help. But, Iā€™ve copied @vibralogix - so Iā€™m sure Adrian will reach out soon.,

All the best,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I did reply to your support email yesterday but perhaps it got spam filtered. Can you email me the debug info you received. The message No such product is odd as I donā€™t recognise that one. I am sure we will find out what has happened anyway.

Thanks
Adrian

2 Likes

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for getting back to meā€¦ I have sent you an e-mail from a different address.

David

Iā€™m very happy with Sitelok, purchased and installed very recently. Iā€™ve been using Lockdown from Loghound (now owned by Yourhead) for a number of years, but its always been a bit clunky and doesnā€™t cope well with a user entering wrong login details. I decided to change to Sitelok after reading positive reviews and going through the manual in detail. It was a bit of a leap of faith as setting up Lockdown was a bit of a brain teaser and maintaining it wasnā€™t much better.

Installation and setup of Sitelok was an anticlimax as it was considerably easier than I expected. I havenā€™t played with SQL databases much before, but my Chillidog host cPanel made that easy. After a bit of messing around trying to implement the workflow I used in Lockdown, which was a 900 line csv import with passwords already allocated ā€˜just in caseā€™ somebody asked for one and maintaining two spreadsheets to generate the csv, I realised that Sitelok would do all this for me. Actually, Iā€™ve only got some 150 members who have asked for passwords, so I was just making it difficult for myself.

So, with Sotelok, I just have my 150 active members in the database imported from csv and I have a registration form setup that does all the hard work of adding the member to the database, issues the password and letting me know. I actually have it set up so I approve membership before the password is issued. Members can edit their profile including the password and I get notified when they do so.

Iā€™ve got contact forms and email templates setup and I just love the Sitelok control panel and log. I can email individuals or groups via the Sitelok control panel and I can see user activity in the log including failed logins. All this considerably eases my workflow and itā€™s so simple to protect individual pages.

In summary, I have saved myself lots of work, made the website easier for members to use and easier for me to maintain. Am I happy, YES!

1 Like

@Ruyton Nice description! I had the same impressions when I first started using Sitelok but had completely forgotten the enthusiasm and relief I first experienced when using the product. Your contribution gets at that very well. I canā€™t imagine NOT using Sitelok for my non-public sites (mainly academic course websites). A joy to use.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for your kind words and support for Sitelok. Its really appreciated.

2 Likes

Hi @vibralogix,
Sitelok is awesome as above comments. Im wondering if you can give us an indication of what is on the horizon for Sitelok?
I know you do custom work for some projects but i would like to know what other plugins you have coming to compliment the current format?
Would there be anything that you could do in the way of CMS? Specifically, buy/sell boards, job boards, blogs?

I have implemented these things with membership using stack apps but no longer supported/updated.

Cheers for your ears.

Hi @bitbumpy,

Sitelok V5 is being tested now and is mostly a redesign of the control panel which will be responsive and hopefully more pleasing to use. It will also be easier to translate to other languages which has been a frequent request.

In terms of a plugin for CMS or other blogs etc this may be possible if they have a single sign-on (SSO) method that we can use. Vanilla has SSO which enabled us to work with it but others hopefully will do the same.

1 Like

@vibralogiz
Hi Adrian. When I started using Linklok URL you provided superior support! Thank you! Linklok URL has been working great for my free downloads from S3 for some time nowā€¦

(Linklok URL provides for dynamic expiratory links for downloads and it works well with Amazon S3.)

@vibralogix ,
Please can I use Sitelok single licence for subdomains of the same registered Domain name or website?
Thanks