Thoughts on today's Apple Event?

i STILL don’t get it. bump up the ram, the SSD to where you want it (or think you’d want it over the coming years), and get on with life. seems really simple…

What don’t you get? That people have a different view… seems pretty simple

1 Like

no, i don’t understand where the problem is. as with any computer, you can get what you need when you buy a new one, and then get back to work.

an opinion is liking (or not liking) the new imac. but whining about things is just… whining.

You sound like you’re whining :roll_eyes:

1 Like

ha! i thought i was commenting:rofl:

I saw this pic and remembered your comment

1 Like

not sure what you’re getting at; i see 2 women using new imacs.

personally, i’d probably get the ‘conventional silver’ one, then i’d do great work on a powerful computer. what’s wrong what that?

I guess to keep it’s “Pro” status, if it’s using the same M1 chip as the MacBook Pro and iMacs, as opposed to an improved A series chip.

@fisherking
I don’t know about you but I’m not really able to afford the Mac I want to have, particularly with Apple’s upgrade costs for storage, which are now the only option (external drives etc. aside).

The main reason I have been able to keep my MacBook Pro 13" 2011 going is because I have been able to upgrade the memory myself, and twice I’ve upgraded the storage (larger HDD, then replaced with SSD). Those options are now pretty much impossible on the majority of Macs from…what around 2015 onwards? Except for the Mac Pro but that is a whole other level of cost.

Granted there aren’t any new storage technologies that are immediately going to replace SSDs for speed but storage needs only ever grow, so the lock in from Apple with size is infuriating and also not great environmentally either.

If I wanted to get a new Mac with 1 TB of storage as I have now, it would add significantly to the cost. Not everyone is in the position to afford a fully spec’d machine, unfortunately the option of Buy Now, Upgrade Later is no longer there.

it’s easy to add an external drive (or several external drives) into one’s setup, if you find the cost prohibitive. and your needs, of course, depend on what you do.

i use my 12" macbook for affinity photo, rapidweaver, several text apps, and the usual photos and email… on my 256G SSD, i have about 160GB still available.

for pro audio people, filmmakers, pro photographers & graphics people, more space is important.

either way, this is the time we live in. so you weigh your needs vs your options, and move forward.

finally, apple is doing more in terms of environmental responsibility than ever before, so not sure what your point is there…

EDIT: when the time comes, you could check out apple’s refurbished store; and/or go for a late-model intel mac. just a thought!

People are just disagreeing with you, as in, they have a different opinion. I’m not sure there is much more of a point beyond that.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy a machine at over €2k that I can’t get in to if/when things need to be replaced. In fact, I wouldn’t spend any money on such a machine. It’s just that simple. You would, and that’s cool.

I’m not sure accusing people of whining is really appropriate.

1 Like

I did say external drives aside. If your main setup is desk bound then it’s less of an issue but lugging extra drives with you when you are out and about is not so easy.

Yeah because it doesn’t matter to ordinary users, only the Pros :roll_eyes:

Yes Apple is doing more and it deserves to be recognised but if I hadn’t been able to upgrade the storage and ram on my MacBook is would have been far from usable for a while and I would have had to get a New MacBook (original MacBook Pro was 320 GB HDD storage and 4 GB RAM). The point is if you can upgrade your Mac then it will last longer.

i hear you, but you didn’t answer my question directly: what does an image of 2 women on new imacs mean? you seemed to be making a point, and would be grateful if you could clarify…

i guess accusing people who are whining of whining is, at most, not very nice, and will be more thoughtful in the future.

You seem to be getting confused.

It’s just plain rude and ignorant.

1 Like

the reason to get a newer computer (i think) isn’t so much about ram and storage, but about power and speed, ie the processor. and that has never been user-replaceable.

also, am not saying that ‘ordinary people’ (your phrase) don’t need or deserve more storage space. the truth is, if you want 2TB (for example) physically on your mac, you’ll have to buy a 2TB mac; just the way it is.

but even with a macbook, you could always archive old work and files to an external, and then not need to carry that drive with you.

finally, i use idrive to backup my macs online. if i were travelling, and needed a file NOT on my macbook, i can download it easily enough from my backup.

Seems like Apple’s latest hardware is a polarizing topic. Who knew!? :yum:

I don’t want to close threads, but this conversation seems to be moving in the wrong direction. Please keep it civil — Forum code of conduct is viewable here.

1 Like

if i point out that someone is whining, i am being ‘rude and ignorant’. i hear you. but if you point out that i’ve done that, then it’s ok for you to call me ‘rude and ignorant’? how is that ok? hmmm…

apologies, it was rolisize who posted the picture (and hasn’t explained anything)…

sorry, am part of the problem here, and will bow out now. thanks for the great, and helpful forum (and the app itself).

Unfortunately I’ve had to close this thread and remove some posts as it’s got out of hand.

If anyone is unsure of what’s expected behaviour here, we have a forum code of conduct.

In short, Just be nice and respectful to the other humans here.

1 Like