Website display

(David Rolfe) #21

Good to know about this. It would appear to be linear and, presumably, online. My ideal solution would be menu driven by the viewer to allow them to follow their own interest and also be self-contained.

Now, if Rapidweaver created a cut down version with no editing capability just a Preview option that would be ideal! Suddenly, you have a new standalone publishing software that could only be created with Rapidweaver.

Rapidweaver…are you listening?

(Mathew Mitchell) #22

I doubt RealMac would consider this. Mainly because the market would be so small. In fact, you yourself make the argument against doing this when you wrote:

Software companies also come and go!

(Doug Bennett) #23

RapidWeaver runs only on Mac’s, that’s going to limit your viewing audience to a very small percentage of the population.

Technology changes drastically and very quickly. Look back just ten or fifteen years ago. No one had smartphones, and most computers were running Windows XP, no kindle readers and tablets not even a dream yet.

If you built a RapidWeaver project just a few releases ago, it wouldn’t even open up in the latest version of RapidWeaver.

A website using the latest technology available fifteen years ago may not even load on mobile devices. I would bet that ten or fifteen years from now things built today will be obsolete as well.

Don’t forget all the different technology platforms, macOS, Windows, Linux, iOS and Android. That’s just what’s popular today, think backward ten years, iOS was new, and androids didn’t exist but now the two combined account for over half the worldwide web traffic.

If you’re old enough and still have any laying around grab an old 5 1/4 inch floppy disk and hand it to your grandchild to read. Nothing you build with technology is going to outlast a printed book.

Yes, websites do have to be maintained and can quickly disappear as fast as they appear, but one advantage is they reach a vast audience with a single source.

The only thing right now you can count on to last for generations is still the printed book. The closest thing would be ebooks. You can do most of what you’re saying, interactive, videos, and more with the latest ebook publishing technology. But RapidWeaver isn’t the tool for that; it’s a web builder, not an ebook publishing engine.

(David Rolfe) #24

I see what you mean. I’m 67. I had one of the first so-called laptops around 1985. Weighed about 4 kilos and cost £2k then!

Having invested a few years using Rapidweaver for my own projects I am just reluctant to use my declining brain cells getting them round something new. However, perhaps it will do them good. Any recommendations for e-book publishing software?

(Doug Bennett) #25

I have never done any publishing but I have heard good thing about iBook author (free) fro apple:

(Colin) #26

Another option would be a DTP app like iStudio Publisher – http://www.istudiopublisher.com – and save as a PDF or EPUB file, though I’m not sure about links to sound files that way. There’s also an online app called Soda PDF – https://online.sodapdf.com – that allows you to create PDFs from a variety of apps, like PowerPoint, but I’ve never used it. May be worth investigating, though. Acrobat, itself, is way too expensive!

(David Salomon) #27

I appreciate the challenge since I’m currently working on a couple of media rich websites/ iOS ebooks. I’m using a HTML5 editor called Tumult Hype which in some ways is reminiscent of Flash. I don’t think there’s a perfect solution. Even a paper book needs an infrastructure or library or something to keep it available for distribution over time. I started looking seriously at Hype this year, having been a Rapidweaver user from the beginning and love both. I’m 64. I find brain cells respond to enthusiasm. Good Luck

(David Rolfe) #28

Thanks for these suggestions. I’ll check them out. Clearly, there is a gap in the market for the perfect solution. On the other hand, “workarounds” are the ultimate gym for the brain cells.

(Ray) #29

Take a look at FotoMagico, by Boinx.

(David Rolfe) #30

Looks great but seems just linear. I need it to be menu driven.
D

(Andrew Rodger) #31

Not exactly the same thing but I was wondering if it is possible to copy (duplicate) an RW8 web site and change the publish settings and a number of other small details and then use both alongside each other. There is quite a bit of repetition in some of the utility sites I make and it would be useful to have a kind of template, fully loaded and ready to go… I suppose I could answer this question by trying it but I am loth to risk breaking something.

Going back to the question, I can see how it might be useful and an attractive proposition to be able to export a site as a stand alone package for viewing in browsers rather than on line. Yep, you can do it all over in another application but if you are pleased with the way the graphics work and how pages relate to one another, it begs the question “why not?”

(David Rolfe) #32

Problem Solved. I case anyone did not see it Joemart1951 suggested simply exporting a RW site. Open the folder and click on the “Index” page. (Offline). Bingo!!! It works. A complete menu driven digital publication with all audio and video bells and whistles independent of the web and working on any browser!!!

(HTML fine not certain about PHP.)

To make it perfect RapidWeaver just needs to create, say, “Export to AV” and have an even neater opening mechanism.

(Don H) #33

HTML may work fine, you’ll have to test everything carefully, especially all links.

PHP will definitely not work when opened in this way.