Why people walk back when I mentioned Rapidweaver?

OK to everything you said, but there’s one huge difference between RW and the “Wordpress & upwards” world of site-builders: accessibility. I feel like I’d need to go back to school for the Wordpress & upwards world, whereas in RW, I just jumped in and started building. Yeah, it’s not a one-stop shop, but I love the vibrant developer community. Asking "what would RW be like without the developer community is like asking “what would the iPhone be like without the App Store?”

3 Likes

Dude! I try Quick editor and I don’t know what my client did that he messed up his website badly. I mean I had to re-build the whole website using Armadillo and now he can work with it. People take ‘customization’ to another level. Last week the client call me because the buttons were gone. I re-published the whole site and the problem was gone. What is he’s doing?? I don’t know but basically Armadillo is the only one that is working right now.

Not even the Quick Editor dev could helped me it was very bad.

OMG! You opened my eyes. I love Rapidweaver but I think I won’t be able to use it without stacks and Foundation / Foundry / etc to be honest. It happens the same with Mac OS. I don’t think I can work with a Mac without Pathfinder, Alfred, and Keyboard Maestro. Maybe the next version of Rapidweaver can be redesigned with a build in stacks feature and a framework made by them. It will be an obvious move in my opinion. Basically we are using RW as a tray and all the ingredients come from third parties. I always thought the Blocs app was how Rapidweaver will become. Now Blocs App looks like a Rapidweaver Pro version. I know RealMac won’t let RW abandoned any time soon. Something need to be cooking in the lab. I mean, they did a great job with Squash 3! I mean The next Rapidweaver should be up to date and even an iPad app is necessary too. So… let’s see what happens.

1 Like

I’m sorry to read that.
My quick guess would be that your client copy-pasted whatever he want to post and that the input boxes aren’t as injection proof as we expected. Apparently Armadillo does clean the input before storing it in the database.

1 Like

I’ve been using both Quick Editor and Foundry’s Alloy as CMS. In my experience you have to clearly instruct the client how to use CMS and tell them what they can and what they can’t. Still, clients can easily mess things up even given all the info how to use CMS. Also, I try to limit CMS to what only is really necessary to be adapted by the client. I’d rather offer the service to change certain things for them, mostly it only takes a few minutes to change a banner image or a logo or so.

Hans

2 Likes

“I don’t think I can work with a Mac without Pathinder, Alfred, and Keyborad Maesto.”

Yes to all but especially Keyboard Maesto… It is the best “add-on” I’ve ever had for OSX. Simply magnificent and able to do anything you want.

1 Like

Believe me. A PDF with specific instructions is included with every website I delivered. A One on One Zoom video is done too. After all that. They messed up anyway. Question is: Why that doesn’t happen with Wordpress that in my humble opinion is way more complicated to work with?!

Dude. KM is crazy good.

So far so good. One time I mixed both Quick Editor and Armadillo for the client was comfortable to work with it. And it works well for a while.

Thanks for the suggestion. I bought F6 and it didn’t worked for me (it’s been hard for me to grind with it). Still learning that curve. I’m still using F1 to pay my rent and bring food to the table. Now Total CMS scare me. The thought that if I bough it I will be lost and frustrated is holding me to take a chance. Joe Workman and me are trying to do a one on one lately without luck. As soon I understand how to work and build with F6 I will be able to buy Total CMS.

If that’s your perception then that’s all to the good. Couple of points though:

• WP really isn’t hard to learn. Loads of videos and tutorials around - tonne of free resources to help you learn. I’d also argue that what you do learn is more durable and useful if you are planning to take on more projects as a rounded web designer or developer.

• The OP would perhaps disagree with your position as below he’s talking about being scared by TCMS and could not get along with F6. Just an observation.

Glad you found a tool you can use easily though. You get out what you put in, I think.

3 Likes

I have to agree with @indridcold (post just above this one). Yes, you need to learn how WP is structured and how it thinks. It is a bit harder than RW because out of the box it provides you with many more tools: CMS is just one of those extras that come with it. It has a built in system for uploading images, PDFs, etc. that works MUCH better than what RW provides.

The biggest gripe I had with WP when first learning it was the very very slow times it took to add content to it. Ugh. But the mistake was all mine. When developing a website it’s critical to do a local development which is nimble. Then later export the website to your actual server (a bit like RW). Local by Flywheel is one of a few tools that are free and allow you to do the local development.

WP has been evolving in key ways. Think if RW + Stacks were combined into one product. That’s what WP is now offering with Blocks. So obviously there is a new and growing market for all sorts of blocks-stacks. Sounds familiar eh?

Like RW … WP is theme based: i.e. you need to use a theme. But what is emerging as the “go to” way to develop WP sites is through frameworks like Elementor and several others. With the emergence of G-blocks there have been new frameworks developed that are much faster than the old-pre-blocks frameworks. All of this will be familiar to those who use frameworks with RW.

I still prefer RW because I’m used to it, I’ve already invested a fair amount of money into add-on products, and I’m able to do what I want very easily because I have all the tools I need at hand (i.e. I don’t need to go searching for a new tool to do X, Y, or Z).

Unlike RW, core WP has been making some big advances over the past 5 years. In 10 days a major new update is coming out. I make websites almost only for myself, very occasionally for a friend. But if web design were my day job … I’m pretty sure I’d be using WP for use with clients.

4 Likes

Same here.

Hi TemplateRepo What’s your view on Webflow? - a designer buddy of mine insists it is the bees knees and that I should switch - I’ve had a sniff (looks good) but at the moment I’m sticking to what I know. I’ve Just started with Foundation6 so I’ve got a wee bit of a learning curve on my hands as it is :wink:

As mentioned in different replies, one tends to use what he/she knows better…and its opinion follows.
I have used many different web dev environments and can say that currently there is a vast availability for creating excellent sites. The reason I’m using RW + Foundation6 + TotalCMS is due to the superior (a German friend defines it as the TOPMAX) support, especially the JoeWorkman community: never found something close to it…

5 Likes

I can see where they were going, but it’s not the best argument.

I run 4 websites for local groups. RW makes it easy, and stacks and themes make the pages look great without much work. But, should I move to get hit by a bus, the websites are dead unless someone else has RapidWeaver and all the stacks and templates I have used.

So it’s easy to point to WP (or others) as "anyone can use those to edit pages). but as someone stated here, WP, while a common program, is far from easy for anyone to just ‘pick up’. There there are fewer folks who could just code HTML by hand and come up with great-looking pages. Wix might be the best option if you want an editor anyone can access, but I’m not sure how creative you can be given their templates and such.

I think WP and the like pages are less transferrable than people might think, and you’d run into just as many challenges passing long WP pages as you would RW pages. Until one company takes over the market with wide adoption of their program/standards, this is just the way it’s going to be.

1 Like

Well said, and a bit sad.

WP is like RW, but with a huge amount of continual theme development.

Most designers look at themes as basic navigation and logical framework, not necessarily an end product. Whatever tools and products we can find and use to achieve our and our client’s vision, we will use. Theme development is an important and missing component these days. Project files sort of continued that notion, but it’s a wasteland there too.

WP has a lot more active development behind it, and the theme offerings are robust and a lot more aesthetically/functionally “superior”. Has the base RW platform ever evolved beyond the silly “basics” of photogallery, blog, contact form? Most of RW’s actual improvements have been on the backs of the loyal and dwindling developers. Is that laziness? No clue.

As a professional designer who has had to defend his platform of choice because outside SEO firms can’t work with the files in the same external manner as WP, it seems like the death of a thousand blows. Maybe RW was never meant to be a platform for professionals. I haven’t abandoned the RW ship, but I am troubled. I am thankful for every person who has stayed and stuck it out (Isiah, Adam, Joe, Will, etc, etc.). But… with each loss of developers like Nick Cates, it hurts. It doesn’t help when RM doesn’t even purge out the ghost developer projects that you can still buy, but good luck getting support for. I don’t understand the thinking behind that.

Didn’t mean to offend anyone, and there is probably a lot for folks to be offended by. I have pondered making the jump to WP multiple times. It seems that WP suffers from product Balkanization too, so it isn’t a complete bed of roses there. But, I love RW, the developers, and many of the people I have met over the years working with it.

3 Likes

I do think CMS features are required on many websites and out of the box products such as WordPress, Squarespace and wix are massively tempting. I do find though, that cost is a major factor. I used to run all of my sites in WordPress, but had to deal with people trying to hack the sites all the time. I needed security plugins, be religious on updates and worry all the time if a site was going to be hacked. I also had issues with sites being flagged as malware because a plugin was calling resources from a registered malware site. My site was clean, but the plugin cause it to be blacklisted. Then there was the hassle of migrating a local installation online. End the end I dumped WordPress. My friend uses squarespace and is very happy, but it’s also expensive.

Most people I talk to who want sites that look like someone else’s WordPress site often change their opinion, when I outline the extra security steps and maintenance needed leading to more cost.

I think developing in WordPress requires you to be in WordPress a lot. For the odd site here or there, it is just too much hassle.

6 Likes

Don’t WIX and WP and such have security issues? A lot more hacking into the sites because vulnerable scripts are exploited. Or is that just “talk?”