WordPress user comments to be sold to OpenAI

Here’s another reason to take back webdesign from the fremium blog-like-CMS’ of the world.

Automattic, the owners of WordPress and Tumblr, have reached an agreement with OpenAI to sell visitor content to the company to train the AI with.

Link to press release

This means that all replies to any WordPress powered blog, wether text or image, will be available to OpenAI unless the visitor opts out.

Remember folks - if it’s free, you’re often the product being traded.

Cheers,
Erwin

4 Likes

The move by Automattic is quite user hostile, they are bound to get a lot of kick-back over this.

This also coincides with a resurgence on the indie web, lots more people are starting to realise that posting your content to these networks means you don’t own or control that content. Here’s one of many articles I’ve read over the past few months on the subject - Your site, your home, your web.

Building and owning your website is the smart way to go. We’re lucky RapidWeaver fits this way of thinking rather well!

Vivia-la-RapidWeaver :v:

5 Likes

AI quality is going to plummet if they’re machine learning from my Wordpress comments and Tumblr postings.

3 Likes

AI quality is going to plummet if they’re machine learning from my Wordpress comments and Tumblr postings.

lol, afraid that ship has sailed already…

https://www.reuters.com/technology/reddit-ai-content-licensing-deal-with-google-sources-say-2024-02-22/?ref=biztoc.com

2 Likes

Both of these are just more examples of biased, non-factual content. These AI’s are going to fail before they start.

1 Like