Apple’s new OS Big Sur

Yes, you are wrong. I don’t even know what you mean… My Mac is a PC… so is your’s. I don’t run Windows on it… ever. I am happy to hear your Mac is behaving for you.

I’ve spent hours on the phone with Apple… twice. Both times it ended with them no longer responding to me. Both times included me downloading software for them to pull all logs. I ran hardware tests on my own. Techtool Pro also found no issues.

I’m a 30 year Mac user.

Like it or not @JohnJ, the term PC has been used since the first IBM Personal Computer was launched in 1981 to mean a computer using CP/M and PCDOS (and later Windows) and is commonly used in contradistinction to those using other operating systems such as MacOS and Linux. As for kernel panics, I don’t know why you’ve been experiencing them, but I’ve been using Macs for at least as long as you have and I have seldom had one, and then never associated with using external drives…

Macs used to be different hardware than Windows machines. The hardware is now the same. The only difference for the most part is the OS is what I meant. What does it mean to treat your Mac like a PC?

That is wonderful that you are not having Kernel panics Peter. I wouldn’t wish them on anybody. Apple is incapable of telling me why I am having these troubles. It has been an ongoing problem for months now. They have TWICE connected directly to my mac via software they have me run to get a full report on what is going on. I go through all that only to have them quit answering me.

I am frustrated by it all. I used to believe Macs were superior computers. I don’t feel that way so much anymore.

All the best to you. May your Mac continue to behave. I really miss that on my end.

The funny thing is that now Big Sur is available, I’m strangely tempted to throw caution to the wind and update! :joy:

Updated this morning to the publicly released version (11.0.1) and RapidWeaver 8.7 is working just great!

Cheers
Dan

2 Likes

I use Big Sur as a beta tester for Apple. We are now using a public release and have had no issues with Stacks or Rapidweaver 8.6 and just installed 8.7 (20860).
No issues to report.

I couldn’t resist and updated to Big Sur. The only issue I’ve encountered is that SuperDuper doesn’t work. that’s quite a serious issue for me, but I can live with it.

My Macbook pro 2015 is real slow!!! Netflix takes ages to load, movies stutter along ???
anyone else have this…
13" early 2015 2,7 GHz intel i5, 8gb ram with 76GB of 250 GB left in memory

Perhaps the system is just indexing building spotlight. Give it some time…

I rebooted and its good again,
Thanx

I have a big problem with RapidWeaver 8.7 using Stacks 4.1 one Big Sur.

RapidWeaver keeps crashing every time you try to publish a site. Can’t seem to see a way around it. Any suggestions please.

David

Hi Dan

I am having problems with 8.7 stacks 4.1 and Big Sur. Keeps crashing RapidWeaver every time I try to publish a site.

Help please.

David

@DAHD There is a 4.1.1 update of Stacks. See if that helps. If not try downgrading to Stacks 4.0.4 where you should have no problems.

A fix should be out soon, but maybe going backwards is best for right now.

1 Like

I had to re-enter the FTP password in the Publishing setup area of RapidWeaver. Then it worked. My stand-alone FTP app had also lost its passwords with the Big Sur update. But putting in the passwords was all that was needed. Hope yours is as simple as that, too.

Try v4.1.2 @isaiah has been working hard to fix the crashes, and he has licked several with this one!

3 Likes

Thank you. The stack update 4.1.2 has fixed my problems. Now published site without it crashing RapidWeaver. Brilliant.

3 Likes

JohnJ, I think you need to get someone to look at your Mac, you’ve obviously got stuff in there that’s causing problems.

I have used Macs since they were first made… Never had a problem with them crashing.

Big Sur Beta was ok, it worked more or less fine… the release version is a nightmare. A festival of crashes and frozen applications, out of a sudden. I am on Mac for almost 30 years, these kind of things hardly ever happened. Very disappointing!

Interesting, @nemo55. We have four Macs here (a three year old MBP, a two year old iMac and two 2020 MPBs). The upgrades went without a hitch. No issues with any programs crashing- the only program that no longer works is Espresso (but, I knew that going into the upgrade).

1 Like