Foundation Blog CMS vs Poster Stack

I’m new to Rapidweaver and finding it a steep learning curve (after making my websites on Iweb for years). I like the flexibility with Foundation and so I have been working with it for a week now. I am using it to remake my websites for some philosophy courses I teach at a university. Now I am trying to figure out how to add a blog page and now I’ve come up on this question of using Workman’s CMS blog or Poster Stack. I don’t really understand CMS. It looks like that is useful for companies that have multiple users. I am a single individual so it seems like I don’t really need CMS. Then I found Poster Stack and am considering buying it. It says I need Rapidweaver 7 and Stacks 3.5 which I have. But it also says I need something called PHP 5.6. I don’t know what that is. Now I’m back to wondering if I should just get CMS. In addition to my philosophy course pages I need to rebuild my pages for my ceramic art. (My Iweb pages are still up at http://tfreeman.net/Ceramics/Welcome.html). So my general question is, should I learn CMS? Is it valuable for a single person or is it necessary only for companies with multiple users? And then, if I don’t try CMS, is Poster Stack the best option? And what is PHP 5.6?

PHP runs on the server - Most (all?) hosting accounts provide it.- check your hosting plan to be sure.

TotalCms (and others) would allow you to add posts from a browser ie. (anywhere you have an internet connection). There are many, Many more features to aTotalCMS than just a blogging platform but I won’t go into that here.

Poster Stack which is also nice and flexable will require you to add from within Rapid Weaver and publish each time.

3 Likes

Just to let you know, Total CMS requires PHP 5.6 as well. Also, if you are looking into what version of PHP, I would suggest asking your host service to up your PHP to at least 7.1 as PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.0 will be end of life (meaning no more updates) at the end of 2018.

1 Like

f you don’t need to do live updates from a browser, then a CMS might be overkill for a simple blog. One of the active forum members @Mathew did a very good video on poster stack you might want to check it out before you decide:

3 Likes

I am using Poster Stack if you’d like to see how I use it: https://www.lisasandlerphotography.com/photography_blog/

4 Likes

Looks great! Given me inspiration

1 Like

thanks :slight_smile: I didn’t use the category tag, but that is an option as well.

I appreciate all the kind replies. After research and much consideration I decided to purchase the Poster Stack. After purchase I received an email confirming purchase and informing me that I should receive another email within 15 minutes with the download link. It has now been over 24 hours and I have still received nothing and no replies to several email inquiries. I am starting to get really pissed off of how difficult this Rapidweaver is to use. I don’t understand why a blog stack did not come with my original purchase of Rapidweaver and Foundation.

RapidWeaver does come with a Blog Plugin, but that will not work with any Freeform theme out there (Foundation, Foundry, UI Kit, Etc) as those themes need a stacks page. There are many blog stack out there, but since Foundation is a theme, it (as well as the other freeform themes) do not come with a Blog stack.

I have tried using the Blog Plugins with Rapidweaver but I find them very limited in what one can do. If it were possible to edit the themes then it would be worth using.

It was once all so easy with IWeb. There were themes, but it was possible to edit the themes. I spent so much time building my websites with IWeb and now all that work just went down the drain.

The email could have gone into your junk folder. Check there.

More importantly, @instacks uses Paddle for checkout. So I’m assuming you created a Paddle account. If so, go to Paddle and you’ll instantly be able to download anything you bought using that service.

1 Like

I didn’t get any email from you.

As @Mathew said, everything is automated via Paddle. You should get an automated download email. I just triggered a resend.

If you do not get it, log into your Paddle account with the email address you used for the checkout, and download the Poster Stack from there: https://my.paddle.com

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.