RapidWeaver Version 7.3 (18575) Problem

Okay… I’m back. It was to have been a conference call but the lady we needed to reach must have gone home early. If any of you have any other ideas, please let me know. I hate to think I might have to remake the whole site. Sheesh. She could call back at some point during the next 20 minutes, but I doubt she will. I guess I could try the Network Solutions tech support.

Or, should I try moving the site over by using Filezilla?

When I clicked “Live Server” on the publishing page – I forget – that meant I was trying to publish to Rapid Weaver’s own publishing engine, right? Or, not?

Way up there in the scroll, I think I shifted away from FileZilla to the RW engine. Maybe I should try to drag it over to the htdocs file on FileZilla and see if that works now.

No, Doug, I didn’t. Yet. I will do that now. I did that last week. I hate to do that because I don’t like to lose the records online, So, sometimes I just use a different browser instead. But BOTH browsers now have the website cached there, so I do have to change the browser. I did have the publishing menu set to “once a week backups” only because it would have slowed down the process of publishing and republishing and trying to check to see if it had been published. As you know, the backing up part is very slow, so I figured I’d make that more frequent AFTER I found the right way to publish and republish. It is time to clear the history, though. So, here goes.

IF you want you can try Filezilla again. It appears that the site published OK with RapidWeaver (187 files) but since we don’t know what changed on your site can’t tell for sure.

Have you tried looking at your site with your browser (clear your cache)?

If you want to try Filezilla again try selecting the htdoc file in the lower window and see what comes up:

I’m back! Just cleared my cache. Going to check now to see the result. If it did not publish, I will click the htdocs file as you suggest, Doug.

It would be great if it published on RW. Is it possible for me to look there, too? Just as we do on FileZilla? Or, do we need special software to do that? Going to check now, . . .

No. What is online does not have the revisions they want made on it. It’s still the old version.

I’ll now open the htdocs file as you suggested, Doug.

–Okay. I just did. This is EXTREMELY STRANGE.

WHILE FILEZILLA SEEMS TO INDICATE THAT THE WEBSITE DID REPUBLISH ABOUT AN HOUR AGO (from 13:01 to 13:04) it seems that the corrections that I made – that are on the RW pages that I worked on – DID NOT PUBLISH! They are right there on the documents in the RW file with the “Open” theme, but they did not publish, even though The htdocs file on Filezilla says they were published at that time and even though the files on the right side of the lower quadrant appear to be the same as the files on the left lower quadrant. That is bizarre!

Is there a change that we can check for you? I find cache-clearing to be hit and miss sometimes. Are you on Cloudflare by any chance?

I will take any help I can get, Jason. I don’t know what cloudflare is and so I am not on it unless it reached out and grabbed me – ha, ha. Sure you can check I will screengrab a section of one of my pages here, and you can see if the correct version is on your computer.
There are several other changes that I made in this version too… but that is the one I’ve been checking.
Hold on while I make a few screen grabs… and I thank you very much for offering to do that.

(Sorry for typos: Should be Cloudflare not cloudflare, and I left out some periods. )

Okay, the first screen grab I’m going to show you is the text part under the banner on page 5, which is called “It’s ESHA.” What you’ll see first is the online version that I see on my computer AFTER clearing the cache.

The second shot will be how it appears under the Preview page on my software.

There is an additional sentence in the second one saying "Once very widespread, Purple Needle Grass is the State Grass. It can live as long as 150 years. Destroying it is no different than destroying a 150-year-old tree.

[Now that I am examining it closely, I see that it also is in a slightly darker color of gray, but right now that is the least of my worries.]

The first version does not have that in it. They both do contain the word’s “MOSA’S POSITION.” I just didn’t snip it into the second one.

Thank you for doing this.

No, I don’t see that extra sentence either, unfortunately. Worth a shot…

I should note that when I tried – initially – to publish this on GoDaddy, they told me that the problem was my software, as it was NOT on their end.

Network Solutions has spent a lot of time with me on the phone trying to solve this – that is, when I thought the issue might have been their fault. Eventually I had to buy a subscription to a special section of their tech support called “My Time” because they needed to look inside my computer to see if I was doing anything wrong.

Before calling them back, I want to make SURE that the problem is NOT the software. I’m starting to think it is the software because I got a new modem and a new router and the problem is still here. NetSol’s Tech Support said that I was doing things correctly, so it looked like it was a router problem, but the bewildered Charter serviceman gave me both of them new because he wanted to make sure that the problem wasn’t on their side.

Well, thank you, Jason, anyway… I appreciate it that you tried. Love the photo of you and family!!

When you can see that the preview has one version, and a SUPPOSEDLY NEWLY PUBLISHED VERSION ON FILEZILLA HAS THE PREVIOUS VERSION, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? IT says it was published at about 1:34 this afternoon. But the new version was entered into this software more than a week ago. And it has been saved. That must mean that there is something in the software that is ignoring what I changed. Either that, or the publishing engine is calling up the old version and republishing it. However, it does NOT sound logical to me that this would be happening at all. Or that if, some weird gremlin got into the pub engine, it was happening to me and me only. It should be happening to other people too. So, now I’m suspecting the software again. And possibly the website that I created, itself. I wonder if it is corrupted somehow. GAWD . . . I sure don’t want to re-create the whole thing. I already tried to remake sections of the site – but all I remade was the home page. I cannot imagine I’d have to remake all the affected pages (there were other pages, too. I will check them, as well, to see if they republished correctly.)

You might want to look at the file manager with NS:
https://knowledge.web.com/Support/70044/70044/en-US/Article/View/110/Network-Solutions-How-Do-I-Get-Started-with-the-File-Manager

Take a look at what got published since FileZilla shows you were able to publish I think the problem is where your files are publishing.

The file manager if it shows different dates/times then FileZilla shows then the problem maybe with the FTP Server name you have (an IP address).
Most of the time IP address FTP names are temporary, but not sure if that is how NS works or not.

I wish there were some way of talking to the folks at RapidWeaver. Or at the Open theme. RapidWeaver might want to blame the theme. The theme might say it isn’t their fault. But what do I do, with this hot political situation going on in town? Our side is unable to respond to those who want to bulldoze our beautiful hillsides and kill our habitat and our ocean views. This breaks my heart.

Have you tried changing the path to htdocs ? Apparently that is the standard NetSol folder.

Yes… I did! It worked better, but it still isn’t right as you can see if you read the voluminous history on this (which really is only 1/50th of the history that I have been through on this.) It is getting so frustrating!

Thanks for the suggestion about the file manager document! I will look at that next. But I would think that the NetSol folks would have told me about those things during the hours I have spent on the phone with them trying to figure this out.

I think you might want to hand over access to someone you trust so they can get in and take a look. This is quite bizarre! I have read troublesome stuff about NetSol but it’s a few years back. If you could trust me with the project, I’d be interested to try temporarily publishing it on our test server so we can be sure there’s no weird stuff with the project itself. You could then look at that. Then we could all be sure that the problem lies with NetSol set up. FYI I have a RW and Wordpress development business and, as a reseller for Clook, we host around 50 sites: URL is kikk.co.uk

1 Like