When will Rapidweaver 7 stop publishing every file when I change one tiny thing?

I love it for the control of a stack. I can see how it would be time consuming to do this. I myself am redoing what I have with new images… but the price… worth it to me.

Oh… you haven’t found the little “convert” button yet? … just kidding :slight_smile: I recently converted my 600+ page blog using the macro program “Keyboard Maestro” - I automated the copying and pasting of all into from the blog page to a stacks “template” page." It actually went pretty quickly once I got my macro’s setup and working.

1 Like

:laughing: I’ll give it a shot… The blog looks much better with this Poster thing, I’ll check Maestro to see if it makes it less painful… Or we just might get an intern :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jannis, the developer at @instacks is a regular here and a lot of us are using it, so feel free to post questions :slight_smile:

oh, and make sure you use warehousing.

1 Like

A warning… If you not used to setting up macro’s it can be rough to learn on something as tedious as this. But it would certainly train you very well on how to use macro’s to automate some takes. I use KM for many “every day” repetitive tasks.

What do you mean by warehousing images? Thanks.

Warehousing is when you host your image on your server (or another host) and point to it via full url (path) in RW. Usually you ftp your image up to an “images” folder or similar. This is done instead of dropping the image into RW. This keeps project files smaller as the image is not in the project but on the server. You can also “call” the same image over and over from many pages.

2 Likes

Thanks! Not sure I know how to do that - set up an images folder on my hosting site (not computer) and then instead of the photo being dropped into RW, I type in the path pointing to the folder, then the image name?
/imagesfolder/pictureofdog
let’s say? I’ll have to look up how to do that.
Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Check out this free ebook, it’s a step by step guide:

3 Likes

I’m noticing this republish all files issue a lot. RW 7.5.2. Make a small change, all files publish. It’s not a new problem, but it is annoying.

I know betas aren’t for everyone but the new beta is supposed to fix this issue

Realmac have done a great job of tracking this one down and this issue appears to have been fixed in the latest RW beta. Give it a try.

You can check if you are publishing too many files by doing a publish all files to a local folder, then delete all the files in the folder, then make a simple 1 character text change to a page and then do another Local Publish again. The new beta creates the correct number of files which should be a low number - i.e. 1 or 2 depending on other stuff. Versions of RW before the beta were sometimes publishing every image for every page and there could be 100’s of files being for every publish. Of course these files would then all need to be FTP’d for every Publish.

The new RW beta is a really significant update.

I am one of those guys that like to make copies of my works in version like websitev1.rw websitev2.rw websitev3.rw but you get what I mean.

I notice that recent beta doesn’t like it.

When I publish the copy of the original file with small change. RW deleted all of the images or assets off my web server even I had not moved it any other folders or cloud locally. I had force it to republish to get it to add the images and assets back on the web server again.

I see this issue on a page by page basis. Type one word on a photo album page. Do this on four pages.
430 files get published. Fortunately, the publishing is very quick. 7.5.2

Really fast except that it once again chokes on the last file to upload and report a “Unable to Publish” error… This has come and gone over the releases… Fingers have been pointed at ISP, but simple ftp works like a charm in every ftp client known to man, so I’d wager RW is to blame…

“Operation was aborted by an application callback”, real nice to publish with RW 7.5.2! And absolutely no issues with Filezilla, so it’s not the ISP…

There’s a new beta to try and also try unticking this preference and see if that does the trick.

verify_file_transfers_pref_7_5

2 Likes

Except for one instance, I am not having the Unable to Publish on the last file issue.

But for the publishing many files per page question;
Unchecked the box.
Changed one word on a photo album page with 18 images.
Publish page. 60 files.
Same as with the box checked.
Perhaps this is not abnormal. I don’t know.

Thanks @LaPan . I’m actually on 7.5.4 released and I still see the issue, even with the “Verify file transfers” unchecked…