Where these cookies come from?

I have started a new project in RW. Before changing anything (no project title, no custom theme style, no added stacks) and before I even saved this new “project shell” to my hard drive, I checked the cookies in Web Inspector and I found this:

I would appreciate if someone could assist me in identifying the origin of cookies I found (@dan, @ben, @simon, @lapan, anyone)? Especially bothersome is the cookie named muxData whose expiration date has been set for almost 20 years!

Please, don’t bother with the rwml_preferred_language cookie. I know where that one comes from.

According to my research, muxData belongs to Wistia:

Possibly if you have ever embedded a Wistia video in a RW project, the cookie may have been set then. And if the expiration is 20 years from now, then it will hang around in RW for an extended period of time.

It is possible to right-click and delete any of these cookies in the web inspector.

It’s the biggest cookie in your list (158 bytes) so I suspect it was being used to log some information about some video content you watched in RW or remember some player settings (e.g. volume level or closed captioning).

2 Likes

Are you using Wistia for Videos? They do use these Cookies. Mux is a tracking service for analytics. Perhaps part of the theme you are using?

1 Like

RW appears to keep a sort of cache of cookies that are somehow retained between restarts of RW. E.g. Recently, I worked on a RW file that had some Paddle code that must have generated Paddle cookies and closed it and restarted RW. I then opened a new project and found that the Paddle cookies were still present when using Inspect Element with a Previewed page. In fact, they are still there a week later and I suspect will stay until I delete them by hand.

If you delete all of those cookies and restart RW you will probably find that they disappear.

Doesn’t have to be RW related.

Delete all cookies, hard reload the page, and yiu see the real cookies :cookie:.

Thank you, guys,

I’ve never even heard of Wistia before, so obviously I haven’t used their platform. Perhaps Vimeo or YouTube use the mux tracking service and that’s how the cookie got into RW? I will try to manually delete it and see what happens. Thank you all…

As Will and Gary suggested, I deleted all those cookies within RW Web Inspector. I also went to Safari’s Prefs (Safari is the browser I use every day) and looked for those same cookies there. To my surprise, I found wistia cookie, but not muxData, nor any of the other cookies I saw in RW (I did that before deleting cookies within RW, of course).

Anyway, after restarting RW and opening my freshly started project, I did not find any of the above mentioned cookies.

I wonder if this procedure should become my routine from now on. Any thoughts?

I have the experience that you still see cookies from old sessions in your browser. Maybe check with an incognito window of google chrome or private session with safari.

1 Like

To clarify this question: I wonder, if these remnant cookies are cached by RW are then transferred to future projects, do they—somehow—affect published projects?

How do I do that in Safari?

RW is completely out of the game. It hasn’t anything to do with the RW application at all.

1 Like

Hey, Jannis, I’m not sure I follow. These cookies only appear in my RW projects. They don’t exist in my Safari cache (???). Could you elaborate, please?

RW itself doesn’t use or store cookies.

Of course a stack you use on your project might bring these.

I think you are also able to clean the cookies cache of the RW web inspector. It might be that from a previous session, the cookies are stored.

1 Like

Yes, that’s understandable. I just didn’t get your previous comment. Thank you.

Yes you can delete the cookies from the RW Inspector one at a time.

It would be handy though if the cached cookies were deleted when RW restarts to simulate the condition of a new user visiting a site for the first time.

3 Likes

Sorry, I have to ask to be clear: What is the “RW Web Inspector” that you used to find and delete those Cookies?

In RW, I know the “Page Inspector”, but I am not seeing any obvious option to delete cookies there.

I am finding a “Web Inspector” in Safari’s Developer menu, and there I am able to delete Cookies. Is that what you mean?

There is an option in RW preferences to ‘enable web developer tools’ (or something like that).

You can then ‘inspect element’ in Preview like you could do in a browser.

1 Like

This obviously calls the same “Inspector” interface as in Safari. Thank you. Didn’t know that.

Whenever I’ve finished using my imac, I use CCleaner to delete all cookies that I don’t want left on my computer. CCleaner allows cookies of one;s own choosing to remain. Then I go to Library/Safari - Macintosh/Users/(user name)/Library/Safari - and delete all files in the LocalStorage folder and all database files in the Databases folder.

I perform that deletion procedure more often if I’ve visited a site that I do not normally go on - newspapers are typical culprits - and which is more likely to dump a load of junk on my computer under the guise of ‘cookies’.

Why not just starting a private safari or incognito chrome session when visiting these newspaper sites?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.