Dev Diary Ep7 - Remote Image Support

Hey Weavers,

We’re following on from last weeks video about Responsive Images with a look at remote resource support, also known as Warehousing in the RapidWeaver world.

Last week we stated that we would not be supporting Warehousing in RapidWeaver Elements, however, there’s a subset of users that love warehousing and let us know about it. We’ve worked overtime on adding supporting for the basics of warehousing — It’s amazing what a difference a week can make.

Watch this weeks video to see how we’ve added warehousing support into RapidWeaver Elements. We focus on images in the video, but this feature would work equally as well with other file types.

While we’re on the subject of Warehousing… We’re wondering how many of you that are following along with development of Elements are already using warehousing? Cast your vote in the poll below.

It would appear we created the last poll incorrectly, so below is a new one, sorry about that.

Do you use Warehousing in RapidWeaver Classic?

• Yes
  • No
  • Sometimes
  • What’s warehousing?!
0 voters

We love feedback!

Remember, we’re building Elements in the open so we can get feedback as we go. We want to make sure we’re building the product everybody here wants (including us). Share your ideas and feedback in the comments below.

Your feedback is invaluable; together we can build the best web design app on the Mac!

I’ll be back next Tuesday as usual.

Thanks,
Dan & Team Realmac

5 Likes

Wow @dan, great initial implementation of remote resources. The drag and drop aspect is really lovely, and being able to update image URLs without breaking the links to where they are being used is a nice touch.

I can see this getting a bit tedious if you have a lot of resources on a CDN that you want to add, but for a first (and very quick) release this is already very useful.

Addendum: One thing that would be really useful is having some way to visually scan/filter the list of resources to see which ones are local and which ones are remote.

2 Likes

Not much of a warehouse person…though the ease of using that approach makes me think twice about it. Can a warehouse user tell me what they find to be the benefits of setting up the resources that way? (other than the Dan-demonstrated RW file size)? And I guess I am wondering, what is the impact and result of warehoused images that are earmarked to be responsive?

On a separate topic, did I miss Dark Theme enablement in earlier video diaries? Regardless, it looks really great.

Each week, Dan, a delight for the brain and eyes. You and the team are nailing this. Keep it up :+1:

Dan you demoed images previously and Elements smart sizing, etc. if images are stored remotely and sizes rushed etc does Elements address if set up within Elements. Nice easy way to warehouse, not that I have used warehousing.

queue reaction s GIF

2 Likes

Great job, Dan! I like this simple workflow for remote image use. I started implementing remote images just for alternative tag use with Foundry and made it common practice. Glad to see you took it to the next level. Can’t imagine what you have in store to improve this.

1 Like

Was the different folder in the sidebar not enough?

ignore the gmail, in the middle of a project, just wanted to upload this up real quick. :wink:

1 Like

I’m assuming the ‘Remote resources’ folder was created as any other folder. If it’s not, then it should probably be visually differentiated in some way. I’m also assuming I can drag resources from folder to folder, so it’s not inconceivable that remote resources could be mixed in with local resources.

Agreed on both counts, and we certainly have bigger plans for this in the future.

Yes, the folder was manually created and you can mix and match as you like.
We are thinking we’ll either create a separate divider for remote resources or add a little icon or indication so the user can see at a glance that it’s a remote resource and not local.

1 Like

Elements can’t resize remote resources as they are just static urls and RW doesn’t have write access to the files (as they could be hosted anywhere). So currently the automatic resizing only works with locally added images.

Could you drag in a remote resource and then convert it to a local resource?

I tend to run my Mac in light mode so I don’t think it’s something I’ve covered before. But, yes RWe fully supports light, dark and automatic UI modes :tada:

Aww, thanks :smiling_face:

Any chance you could also add a red indicator (if you go with a green indicator) to show where a remote resource is unavailable, either due to network connectivity, the server being down, or returning 404?

Yes! I have hundreds of images on my website and I do use the warehouse method. My website has hundreds of pages, but only a portion of them have been recreated in Rapidweaver Classic. I found a site template that can support hundreds of pages in the sub-navigation. I hope that Rapidweaver Elements will have a good solution for creating vertical and horizontal navigation that can support large websites.

That’s really interesting to hear, what theme or site template are you using? or better yet, do you have a link to your website? Would be good to make sure the menu system in RWe can support websites with HUGE navigational needs!

Hi Dan, I am using the Affero theme that I believe was available in Rapidweaver Classic. Here is my website. JoeAcevedo.com - Custom Action Figures, Comic Book Heroes, and more...
It was originally built in Dreamweaver, and some old pages remain in their original format. The site was updated in Rapidweaver, to handle all of the top level pages. I don’t have the entire site in Rapidweaver at the moment, as I am slowly rebuilding and adding content.

You have to be disciplined to warehouse, prefer not to use, don’t load hundreds of photos, probably no more than 50, stick with Elements method, for me anyway. It’s what I thought anyway.

This looks like a great start and would certainly fill the majority of my needs for warehousing. It is certainly massively better than no support. The future also sounds like it might be bright, so it is something that can grow with Elements.

As an alternative, I hope the existing Repository stack can be ported to Elements, as it is a huge help. Although the support built into Elements might just be enough.

Fantastic start.

Once more a lovely elegant UI etc for the remote images scenario.

And what a tease you are with your enigmatic icon. I think it’s a means of saving various iterations of a site so you can go back to them. Like a snapshot thang.

I have no idea how developers err develop. Is there somebody on the team who is constantly updating and editing a user manual? Or do you wait till the final version. That alone must be a big project.

Thanks. Lez