Can I make a custom menu in the sidebar with include code?

(Joseph Acevedo) #1

I’ve been using Rapidweaver for several years but mostly just for the blog and image galleries. Now I am bringing in my main website into Rapidweaver to use a responsive template. So far I’ve just done the main landing pages and a few sections.

Question 1: My website is 4,000 to 5,000 pages in size. Can Rapidweaver handle a site that big without bogging down or causing any errors?

Question 2: Most Rapidweaver templates do not support large navigation menus in their design, so I want to make some custom menus in the sidebar. Can I use include code to pull an HTML + CSS page into the sidebar? Examples and tips?

Thank you,

(Marten Claridge ) #2

No. It will bog down and there will no doubt be errors. You would likely have to break the site down into multiple smaller projects to make it manageable.

Marten

(Joseph Acevedo) #3

Thank you for your answer. You have motivated me to think out a solution.

Most of my website is done in Dreamweaver CS5 with parts done in RapidWeaver. Rather than bring all the pages into RapidWeaver, I will update some pages in Dreamweaver using a copy of a RapidWeaver page and adding a custom sidebar menu as a shared Dreamweaver library item.

This will allow me to maintain a large website and keep my responsive RapidWeaver template.

(Isaiah Carew) #4

Generally a site that has thousands of pages has a few basic template-pages and lots of content that slots into those templates. Like Amazon or Netflix. They have thousands of pages – but most of them are the basic product page (amazon) or the basic movie page (netflix).

If your site is similar to that, then you should find a tool that allows you to define those templates separately from the thousands of content items that will populate them.
RW is probably not a good choice for this. You’ll probably want to stick to a CMS with a dedicated database like Joomla – or use a solution that specifically targeted at your use-case – there are services for building documentation sites and e-commerce sites that make building/maintaining those sites much easier.