Can I make a custom menu in the sidebar with include code?

I’ve been using Rapidweaver for several years but mostly just for the blog and image galleries. Now I am bringing in my main website into Rapidweaver to use a responsive template. So far I’ve just done the main landing pages and a few sections.

Question 1: My website is 4,000 to 5,000 pages in size. Can Rapidweaver handle a site that big without bogging down or causing any errors?

Question 2: Most Rapidweaver templates do not support large navigation menus in their design, so I want to make some custom menus in the sidebar. Can I use include code to pull an HTML + CSS page into the sidebar? Examples and tips?

Thank you,

No. It will bog down and there will no doubt be errors. You would likely have to break the site down into multiple smaller projects to make it manageable.

Marten

Thank you for your answer. You have motivated me to think out a solution.

Most of my website is done in Dreamweaver CS5 with parts done in RapidWeaver. Rather than bring all the pages into RapidWeaver, I will update some pages in Dreamweaver using a copy of a RapidWeaver page and adding a custom sidebar menu as a shared Dreamweaver library item.

This will allow me to maintain a large website and keep my responsive RapidWeaver template.

Generally a site that has thousands of pages has a few basic template-pages and lots of content that slots into those templates. Like Amazon or Netflix. They have thousands of pages – but most of them are the basic product page (amazon) or the basic movie page (netflix).

If your site is similar to that, then you should find a tool that allows you to define those templates separately from the thousands of content items that will populate them.
RW is probably not a good choice for this. You’ll probably want to stick to a CMS with a dedicated database like Joomla – or use a solution that specifically targeted at your use-case – there are services for building documentation sites and e-commerce sites that make building/maintaining those sites much easier.