Changing Default Extension back to Html

Using Rapidweaver 8

After changing my Default Extension to PHP, all my pages automatically change to file name .php.

Is there any method to revert my action i.e. changing .php back to .html?

Thanks advance for any advice

That should only change pages created after you make that change. It doesn’t go “change” existing pages.

You will need to change existing pages to HTML or PHP manually with the page inspector.

This is probably because your are using a plug in or stack that needs php to work (e.g. a contact form). If so you must leave as php.index

There is no issue with php.index. If you took an existing .html page and changed it to .php it would continue to work as normal. Some people use php as the default for all pages so nothing needs to change when you add functionality that needs php.

The one thing you mustn’t do is have both php and html index files on the server for the same page. One of them has to go or the browser won’t know which to use.

You are right - “It doesn’t go “change” existing pages.”

What i did
I manually change the file name from .html to .php at page inspector, it seems strange that now I can’t revert the action (php to html). Rapidweaver kept automatically changes back to .php

I also encountered this at HOME page - changing .php to .html

11%20AM

Which ever option I click to change back to .html after editing the inspector, it just pops back to php

This is probably because your are using a plug in or stack that needs php to work (e.g. a contact form). If so you must leave as php.index ---------- I am aware of this

There is no issue with php.index. If you took an existing .html page and changed it to .php it would continue to work as normal. Some people use php as the default for all pages so nothing needs to change when you add functionality that needs php. ----------- Yes, I am aware of this but the only action I did before the page wouldn’t display is manually changing from .php to .html at page inspector. I find it strange why I can’t reverse the action at page inspector. I only thought of duplicating each page, copy and paste all the information but it will be a waste of time. Is there any simpler method to reverse?

The one thing you mustn’t do is have both php and html index files on the server for the same page. One of them has to go or the browser won’t know which to use. ---------- I am aware of this this thus I clear all files in my host server and did a fresh upload

Changing the extension should be as easy as making the change. There are no warnings or roadblocks, so long as your page really is pure HTML. RW won’t attempt to stop you or even warn you about the issue.

However, there are some exceptions:

• On homepage
    A common novice issue is to accidentally publish both an index.html and an index.php to a server. This can cause a variety of issues and confusions – so RW gives you a warning about it (the screenshot that you’ve posted above). However clicking Change should result in the page changing.

• Unless the page contains content that requires php
    There are some pages and options that are built using php code (some blog page options, some photo page options, and some stacks, and some other things i’ve probably forgotten). If the page in question is one of those it will stubbornly refuse to let you make the change.

Next steps:

• If it doesn’t really seem like either of these is the case, then it sounds like you’ve found some sort of strange bug. I’d probably recommend restarting RW.
  • If the problem persists, and you’d like more help from the forum, I’d recommend sharing more details about the page in question – help us see that the page contains no php in any parts (including sidebar, etc.). Perhaps we can help you find the php content that is making the page extension stick to php.
  • If the forum comes up empty and can’t help, I’d recommend sending the project to Realmac support (or if, its a Stacks page, to YourHead software) and requesting some assistance there.

Isaiah

Tks for advice. I solved my problem.

This is what i done and recap…I used “Mobilize” plug-in on a .html file name and publish. It works thou it’s made for .php.

I then changed .html to .php at page inspector but can’t reverse the step. Thus I remove Mobilize and was able to reverse from .php to .html.

My site works fine now. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.