Dev Diary Ep22 - Custom Tailwind Components with ChatGPT

Sadistic drive I think :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sadistic is running windows servers that I have to run in my company. Horrible little beasts.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback so far. This week’s dev diary was perhaps a little advanced :thinking: I was trying to show how flexible and powerful Elements is, rather than make some of you worry about its complexity :crazy_face:

I understand it might look confusing when you haven’t used Elements, but I hope once you get your hands on it, everything will start to click.

It’s worth keeping in mind that Elements can be simple if you want it to be. New users can just use the built-in components and not worry about all the advanced features.

Then when they are ready, they can start exploring Globals and Custom Components if they need them.

I could do a demo showing the simpler side of things, would that be helpful?

5 Likes

I would say yes! :+1: A quick header, navigation, main, article, blockquote, aside, footer, contact area. Social links if they are ready. Maybe even just do the default design so people can see how quickly a simple template can be thrown together. I would guess 1-2 minutes if you know your way around Elements.

Of course after you get all the parts put together you can then design all you want. The way the Designer works should be powerful when we see everything change all at once.

2 Likes

Don’t deride your Windows servers. Curse Apple for not continuously developing a server lineup. I would love a lineup of servers for the home and SMB markets. I actually enjoyed their rack servers, but would understand if they didn’t want to compete in that market. Most seem to think that the cloud is all those markets need for server functionality. I strongly disagree. Privacy, dependability, security…these are reasons for local servers for the home and SMB markets. And with the introduction of GenAI, I think that need is even stronger. I can easily imagine a stack of M4 Mac mini servers handling a variety of services locally including being an shared AI computation source for the assigned users–wether a small business or household.

I love this video @dan, it really shows what you can do with Elements and Tailwind once you get your teeth in it.

One suggestion: those code snippets that you use and store in Nova (https://youtu.be/COzwMMJDr5U?t=360) - any chance of building some kind of dropdown into Elements that spits out the snippet you need? This would save one a look in the docs constantly to find the right snippet, or the need to build one’s own little database of snippets…

A dropdown is just a suggestion mind you - any form of automated lookup-and-paste is welcome :wink:

Cheers,
Erwin

5 Likes

I really dig the ability to use ai to develop code. I know this is the tip of the iceberg but to use Tailwind to build a card is very long road compared to just using the available Stacks to do the same with drag and drop efficiency.
I love the ability to override globals to make each one unique.

Your wish is my command, check out this bonus dev diary video I just recorded!

We have some those in the footer, I didn’t show how it works as we’re saving that for the week we demo Local Data :wink:

Exactly!

When are you releasing Elements?

1 Like

We don’t have a firm date yet as it’s still in development. However, we’re working as fast as we can towards an alpha release - while this won’t be ready for production work, it will allow you to start playing with Elements and get a feel for what you can build with it.

5 Likes