Download notifications?

Anyone aware of a download stack that enables you to be notified when someone downloads from your site?

I don’t know of any stack that will do this presently. I think it may be useful to email Will Woodgate (@willwood) about whether such a feature could be added to his marvelous Paperless stack. It really is a fantastic stack, and this feature would be a nice addition to an already stellar tool. That said, I have no idea if this would be easy, or impossible, for Will to implement. But certainly worth an ask!

1 Like

If you have a Google Analytics account you can use Joe Workman’s “Sweet Button” which easily provides for Google Event tracking. Event tracking is the very bottom item in the options panel. I use this to count clicks on free eBook downloads (pdf, mobi, and epub files) - my buttons actually link to a php script (not a file). The script does a “force download.” But it works as the button is registering a click event, not an actual file download.

I believe this can also be done with URL query strings https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?visit_id=1-636549302848153130-3152947319&hl=en&rd=2 (link provided to me by @willwood a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.