Sadly, due to the nature of website/content, most of our visitors/business are users of old browsers.
I’m referring to error checking in the php script that downloads the file. My scripts to do the force download are 5 lines and there is no error checking. I basically set the read file name, out file name, and then do a php readme for the transfer. I do have to say though that we have hundreds of downloads a day on our free ebooks and I have virtually no support issues (file download errors.)
(I use Integrity by the way… but like I said… checking for broken links was not what i meant.)
I’ve used Google tracking for download clicks but I give up on them. I currently check my Clicky counts as Clicky tracks mobi and epub files automatically, unlike Google. But I find their counting to be suspect. I used to have hundreds of hand coded Google tracking links, complete with three "parameters’ (I forget what they are called) but then they just stop working one day with no explanation and I find out that Google has changed their tracking code requirements. I can’t go back and re-do hundreds of hand coded links.
I’ll absolutely check that out! I love your stacks and your business model and I know that I can always depend your stacks!
We sell lot’s of paid and free eBooks and with most being free, thus, development of the pages and downloads need to be fast and easy.
The perfect stack for me would consist of buttons/icons for pdf, mobi, and epub files with built in force downloads for all three. And built in ACCURATE click counting that requires no maintenance downstream.
Thanks Will. And thanks for your interest and help.