Is there a way to tell RW to not upload my Resources folder?

I have a Resources folder of 975 items weighing in at over 17GB. There are a lot of videos, audio and images. Every now and then Rapidweaver wants to re-upload all, or some, of those files when I make a minor, or major, change to my site.

I know the files are safe on the server, so there is no need for this.

Additionally, is there a way to republish all pages, but not republish the Resources folder.

I know I could redo hundreds of pages and warehouse the files, etc. But I am in too deep for that at this point.

I’m using the newest version of everything.

Thanks for any help

Terry Vosbein

Hi, Terry,

In my opinion, you’re never too deep to make a correction in your designing policy. If you don’t, you are setting yourself up for more trouble along the way.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any way to stop resources from publishing, primarily when you publish all pages.
You could just publish one page at a time. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but I agree with Rob @Rovertek that going forward you should fix the design issue and get away from using resources.

1 Like

I simply want to confirm what Rob and Doug have already written. Changing to warehousing given your current situation can seem daunting. But 17 Gb in your RW project file is going to cause you major problems at some point: beyond the annoyances you report now.

… perhaps the key is to consider you don’t need to switch over everything all at once. Think about it as a gradual move over a period of 1 to 2 years. That means warehousing 80 or 40 items a month (1 or 2 years). Boring work: yes. Really taking a long time: no, not done on a per month basis.

3 Likes

Thanks for the replies. It seems to me there is a flaw in the app when I change something minor, like punctuation, on a page that has no images or other resources, and RW chooses to re-upload 500 resource files.

Maybe this is really a request feature. A way to tell RW to ignore the resources folder when uploading, even on a full republish. Or a way to select individual pages or resources and set them to publish or not.

Redoing the site is not an option at this point.

Terry Vosbein

3 Likes

I have to agree with the warehousing advice. I’ve reduced the size of my RW project from around 25mb to 7 mb by uploading ‘resources’ that rarely change but still need to be available. Mp3 files and PDF’s are stored in Google Drive and gallery images are stored in a free Cloudinary account. It’s a bit of a pain to do initially, but it makes working with the project so much easier and obviously it stops all those resources uploading.

2 Likes

Just wondering as I have not seen it said, which version of RW are you using?

I have the latest versions of everything.

I have reported this issue many times to RM. In my experience, when project files get over a certain size or complexity, RW assumes everything has changed and then publishes everything on every page. There was a big improvement in RW 7.5.5 that addressed a long standing issue with too many files being published but there are still similar gremlins in RW in my opinion.

You can however, publish just one page (using a right click) but this results in everything on that page being republished instead of just what’s changed.

1 Like

Well there’s always hope! RW version 8 is being actively developed. I have no idea when it will be released, but probably sometime in 2018.

@dan might be able to speak to whether the new version will take a kindler/gentler approach to how resources are handled. It certainly would benefit a number of folks. I just don’t know if this is an issue RealMac is actively working on now.

1 Like

Terry… I too just want to encourage you (like everyone else) to make the move to “warehousing.” I inherited a 1500+ page site which was in bad need of repair… everything… from image sizing to meta data to changing a several hundred page blog to all stacks pages (making a “faux” blog).

The task seemed dauting… but if you resolve to attack it sanely and consistently you’ll be surprised at how time will fly by and then suddenly… a year or two from now… things will be in better shape.

Just resolve to “fix” (warehouse) one “resourced” item for every new “warehouse” that you do, or resolve to fix at least one item per day. To make the biggest impact the quickest, work from the largest resourced file to the smallest. (A reminder only… I’m sure you know that.)

I do single page publishing 80-90% of the time and when I do have to upload the entire site I export to local folder and upload with ftps. (I have zero items in my RW Resources folder.)

1 Like

I think a lot of us are hoping for a new resource manager, one that would allow you to handle both local resources and direct URL (warehoused) resources.
Handle images, audio, video and files like PDFs.

1 Like

@teefers Totally agree. It would be an important addition to RW.

I recall asking Ben and Dan a question on the Podcast about whether to warehouse or not, and they seemed to say don’t bother, that there really wasn’t gain. Which may be good advice for a small site with minimal resources.

This is the site in question, by the way.

http://allthingskenton.com

There are huge advantages to warehousing. And beyond your particular issue. But, yes, for a small size with minimal resources it’s probably true enough what Dan and Ben said.

Over the years I’ve seen several folks get into trouble using the Resources and having huge sites which incur a wide variety of problems. All would have been solved/simple if they warehoused from the beginning. (Or, alternatively, if how RW handled resources was better.)

I don’t know what makes up the bulk of your resources. But I would first think of warehousing any videos by uploading them to YouTube or Vimeo and then embedding into your website. Both services do a great job of optimizing playback speed on the web. However, I’m seeing a bunch of videos embedded at your website now: so maybe you have not put many videos into Resources.

Next biggest source would likely be the MP3s. Using warehousing could probably reduce your project size a lot.

At any rate I know you don’t want to warehouse. But it would be helpful.

It’s great to see a website dedicated to Stan Kenton! You’ve obviously put a lot of care and love into the enterprise! Much continued success with it.

I remember that. The advice was not to bother for sites with less than 100 pages and that RapidWeaver users who took part in the “act” of warehousing files were called “caravaners”. Says it all really.

2 Likes

Gary: What the heck does caravaners mean in this context? (It must mean something to Brits, but the term doesn’t translate to American English.) I assume it’s a derogatory term/inference, but still don’t know what they were getting at.

I think what it really means is that there are 2 camps in the RapidWeaver world.

Those who do not understand, appreciate or value using remote server based files and this unfortunately includes some developers and RM.

And the second camp is essentially the rest of the normal world.

1 Like

Gary: Got it!

I’m all for making things as simple as possible. And I realize RW tries to attain simplicity. But I personally found that not knowing about warehousing made my life much more complicated, and confusing, than it needed to be. I’ve voted to go with simplicity of the user experience. And this particular user finds warehousing a lot simpler than … the many confusions that can and do occur by over relying on the RW inbuilt resources feature.

Not warehousing works fine on the half dozen other sites i have. But this one is content heavy, and growing in leaps and bounds. Everything from this point forward will be warehoused.

I embed as many videos as I can, but for a variety of reasons, there are about 20 I have on my server. I was able to quickly warehouse 15 of these, and reduced resource folder by about 6 GB.

3 Likes