Resources...dynamic or static?

If I add a folder as a resource, does RW dynamically check for changes in that folder, or just use it in the state it was imported. An example will probably make my question clearer.

Imagine I add to my site’s RW resources a folder on my Mac called ‘pets’ that contains ‘cat.jpeg’ and ‘dog.jpeg’.

If I later add a file called ‘mouse.jpeg’ into ‘pets’ (on my Mac), will RW view it as new and publish it to the site?

I ran a test and I think the answer is no. But I’m not sure.

Can someone please shed light on this.

Thanks for your help.

IanH

Great question, and in short the answer is no as you guessed. Here’s a bit more info for clarification.

RapidWeaver Classic resources are static and stored in the project. By default when you drop any resource into your project they will be copied into the document. You can turn this option off under the advanced settings in the project.

Allowing RapidWeaver to copy site resources into the document is safer but uses more disk space. Existing site resources will not be altered.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. That helps.

I am using ‘Leave in place’, and had a couple of questions.

I am assuming the ‘Leave in place’ only applies to items added directly to Resources and that other items, such as a photo dropped into a Stack, are still copied into the RW file. Is this correct?

Secondly, with the ‘Leave in place’, my tests suggest that if you change a resource on your Mac, RW doesn’t know to republish that file during a republish operation (unless you choose to 'Mark all pages and resources as changed). Is there any way to tell RW to republish specific resources?

Thanks,

Ian

If you drop a file directly into a stack, then Stacks generally handles that image.
Some stacks opt-in and use RapidWeaver resources, but some stacks don’t and will copy in the image. There’s no way to know this. You’d have to check with each stack you’re using, maybe drop the developer a line and see what they say!

You’re correct, and no you’d have to re-publish all files at this time… hmm, or you could manually upload the changed images via FTP to get around this.

Hope that helps!