Making the jump to RW6

Hi all, after quite a while away from developing websites I’m back at the screen and have a few to develop. I’m tempted to upgrade to RW6 but wanted to make sure I made the transition as smooth as possible and had contigency if anything went wrong.

As I understand it I can convert all of my old RW5 projects into RW6. Can I make a copy of each project first, upgrade them but still have a copy of the old ones which I can use on RW5 on the same mac?

I also wanted to check whether there was anything I had to do with all of my stacks purchases or will they all just work on 6 and in 5 if I have to go back to it?

You’ll need to open and save your projects in RW 5.4.1 before they’ll open in RW6.

But. After that, RapidWeaver will create a copy of your file, upgrade it to the RW6 format, and save as a separate document. If you’re concerned about RW6 reading (and that’s all we do: read) the document, you can create a copy. But that’s not necessary.

In terms of migrating stacks etc, RW6 will copy over your RW5 addons - however your plugins will only be copied if they have a RW6 version inside of them. So. Check your plugins are up to date, and then you’ll be good to go.

Full guide: http://realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/upgrade

—N

Oh, and to note: RapidWeaver 5 and 6 are separate apps. That means that once your addons are copied to RW6, any updates for addons will be installed for RW6 only.

Thanks Nik, so effectively I could still run RW5 and open up the RWSW files to work in the old environment? Can the add ons be manually updated for RW5 if necessary?

I suspect that once I’ve made the jump, much like changing to a next gen console, that I won’t really find the need to go back to RW6 but I’d like to have that security blanket if I find issues with RW6 with a deadline looming.

RapidWeaver 6 opens and converts to a .rw6 file format. So there’s no way to take a RW6 project file back to 5, I’m afraid.

—N

I understand once the file is converted to a .rw6 there’s no using it on RW5 but as I understand it there will still be a .rwsw file which I can open and use in RW5? I know the rwsw will be out of date once I’ve started work on the RW6 version but I still have the option of using RW5, with all of the old plugins / add ons and the original rwsw files don’t I?

Oh, absolutely. We only ever read in information or projects from RW5 (not that you’d need to revert to RW5, of course).

ok, I’ve purchased RW6, followed the upgrade guide but didn’t get any prompts or anything to show me which snippets, themes etc have been copied over. I only have 5 themes on show. Is this because I installed a few of the beta versions of RW6 but never really had the chance to use it? How do I get it to act as a new install or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated. Process worked fine on my Macbook where I’d never installed RW6 before but on my main machine I can’t see how to start the upgrade process again…

Sorry all, think I may have found what I’m looking for now…!