Payloom 3 and State / Provincial Sales Tax

Does anyone know if Payloom 3 supports sales tax at the Provincial and/or State level?

I’ve unfortunately not been able to get an answer from their online help/support.

Thanks people :slightly_smiling:

@davidwm

You could download the demo and play with it :wink:

From the manual as of today:

Tax
The tax AMOUNT you would like to charge for this item. ( i.e. 2.25 )
By making the value 0.00, you could run a tax-free promotion on an item. This will override any tax rules set in your PayPal account profile - do not use this field if you are using tax rules in your PayPal profile.

The short answer is it handles Tax but not by state/province. If you wish that, you must use Paypal or possibly Stripe as your payment method (with the pro version anyway)

Other users of PayLoom, please chime in if I am incorrect on this…

HTH
Brad

@Turtle - Thanks Brad, I’ve read through the manual, and I did see that portion you’ve posted.

I suspect I’m going to have to do this within PayPal.

1 Like

@davidwm

No problem, I haven’t configured my site to use the cart yet and have not set up a PayPal account for it so am unsure of how to set the rules inside PayPal for your desired results.

However, RapidCart 4 Pro (Advanced) does allow you to configure State/Province rates and allows you to define areas available for item sale, by province/state/country. Just a thought if you want granular control.

Good luck
Brad

@Turtle - Yes I’ve downloaded a demo for RapidCart 4.3 also. All I need is an option within my website for clients to pay for a block of time. I have nothing physical or electronic for them to buy or download.

I’m between a rock and a hard place on this one. Contacting PayPal is my last resort though. They don’t seem to understand or support the use of third party API.

AH - I think I’ll ask Ryan at RapidWeaver Classroom. He might know… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@davidwm

Have you checked out…

PayPal Stack

PaySnap

Cart

I haven’t used any of these… but PayPal Stack looks like it might suit your needs…

Good Luck
Brad

Cool - thanks I’ll check them out right away!

To what country do you want to sell? Europe?

Forget it. Not to manage for a small business. Since last year in Europe they have 28 different local tax legislations with about 85 tax rates. And you will not be able to find out what is the right tax rate for the special product. The new legislation came in 2015 for digital goods and now it is applicable for physical goods too.

If you live outside Europe you have to follow that ridiculous tax law anyway. I know, only a few people will comply with the European regulations, but you could be penalised when you enter a European country in future times.

You should think about a payment provider like Avantgate, FastSpring etc.

@apfelpuree Thanks a lot for your input. That’s great information to know, I appreciate that very much.

I will indeed be mindful of EU Laws.

In PayPal settings you can set per-state taxes but it doesn’t apply reverse charge for EU VAT ID owners.
RapidCart Pro fully complies with EU regulation.

In PayPal settings you can set per-state taxes but it doesn’t apply reverse charge for EU VAT ID owners.
RapidCart Pro fully complies with EU regulation.

Hi Rob. You are right, RapidCart is a good solution for the payment process.

But there remain some points that are unmanageable for a smaller business. Thanks to EU regulations it is nearly inscrutable to create a pricing system that follows the regulations - you need the help of an army of specialized lawyers. And second you cannot handle the tax declaration. Nobody is able to declare taxes in 28 different countries with different tax systems. The EU invented the MOSS procedure for very small EU businesses but the MOSS procedure cannot be used by businesses from outside the EU (but the businesses have to follow the EU regulations as well when they sell to the customers living in the EU)

So I would prefer to give all the job to a payment provider. Yes, this will cost some money but that will avoid a lot of stress

Don’t know about foreign EU companies, but here in Italy, if you are a company, you already rely on a business consultant for all fiscal matters, so he can handle payment and documentation related to received VAT.
That’s a common practice.

And EU regulation applies to companies only.

[…]Don’t know about foreign EU companies, but here in Italy[…]

Italy handles the EU regulations in a different way, they refused to take it into practice (status July 2015, maybe they did it now)

And EU regulation applies to companies only.

No. The EU regulations apply to everybody who sells any goods into the EU and apply even to non EU residents (but nobody in Takatuka or elsewhere will follow these rules…). Violations will be penalized with a fine up to € 3.700.000,00… (Poland)

See my blog post from Jan 2015: VAT mutt dat mutt (in German)

1 Like

Does pay loom accept like square or credit cards? so I can have my clients pay via my website, I do not want paypal ay all…

[quote=“apfelpuree, post:13, topic:4849”]
Italy handles the EU regulations in a different way, they refused to take it into practice (status July 2015, maybe they did it now)[/quote]
Italy is already compliant with EU regulations.

Only if you exceed a given threshold.
Thresholds vary for each EU country but they are high enough for individuals who want to sell online.
For example in Italy it’s € 35000.
If your market is higher than that, better owning a company.
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/vat/traders/vat_community/vat_in_ec_annexi.pdf

Well, I doubt an individual would ever be fined that amount…