- make sure i had good backups (always a good idea – but when things are going wrong it is especially important)
- remove any unused/old/out-of-date add-on – especially plugins
- look at the file itself. is it very large? if so, why? did something in particular make it large? you can use TimeMachine to look back a few weeks and see if there are any sudden changes in size/behavior
if none of that triggers much insight, then I’d recommend answering the following:
- Does RW behave OK if you remove all addons?
- Does RW behave OK if before you open any files?
- Does RW behave OK when you open some files?
If you can find a point when RW behaves OK, then you can work back by adding addons, files, etc until it breaks. When it breaks, you’ve found your culprit.
If you find it’s a particular plugin, try updating the plugin. If you find it’s a particular file – see if you can narrow down the problem to a specific page.
At some point when you’ve narrowed the problem enough something will stand out: an plugin, a corrupted image, a gargantuan PDF accidentally imported, etc.
If you cannot find anything to make RW behave OK – then something is really wrong, probably outside of RW. It’s time to look into the basics: reinstall RW, reboot your system, maybe even reinstall your system, etc.
And if you have trouble doing any of those things, send an email to the support folks and let them know, they’ll give you a hand at hunting down the bad thing.