RapidWeaver 8 is Coming Soon

I’m away on Holiday week (hence why I haven’t replied yet).

As has already been discusss here, it’s easy to make a website built with RW7 GDPR compliant. The issues arise when you add in more third party add-one (although it seems the big devs are making sure they are also GDPR complient).

I just want to reassure everyone that we will be making sure RW8 is GDPR compliant out of the box. We’ll also asses things over time and continue to improve RW and respond to changes within the law.

We’re dedicated to making sure RapidWeaver is the best web design app on the Mac.

Also, we’re working on a huge Realmac website update that will go live when we ship RW8, the site will the be 100% GDPR compliant.

Remember GDPR is new. This is a starting date for everyone, the European Union doesn’t expect every website to be complient on day one.

In short. Don’t panic. We got this.

P.S. I’ll post more about the plans for the rollout and features of RapidWeaver 8 in the coming weeks!

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

The GDPR is already 2 years old, and in Germany, the first adhortatory letters / cease and desists are send out by lawyers against German website owners.

In addition, the European Union isn’t the one in charge “expecting” something, it’s the lawyers and courts who have to check each country local laws implementing the GDPR rules.

2 Likes

Just to confirm, by the way, after enabling HSTS and CSP on my host (note: RapidWeaver can’t set these headers for you), a website built in RapidWeaver 7 that I personally maintain passes this GDPR test tool with zero issues or warnings raised.

I didn’t make a single change to my RapidWeaver site or project - I just enabled the headers and re-tested.

1 Like

Hi @therealmf

Each to our own, of course, but I just wanted to add my $00.02 to a couple of your points.

The times when RW alone was enough to build a complete site are long gone.

Right. Exactly; in one fell swoop you have nailed exactly my point. Look at this:

Thats freshly scraped from the RMS RW website. What does that header say? Do you agree with that?

It does NOT say “The only app you’ll ever need to add Stacks and stacks plugins for to build your dream website”. Thats why I’m asking about the ability of the native app to provide GDPR compatible websites. Don’t even get me started on how RW is, for me too, little more than a runtime which provides some structure, theme control and some macros… but largely is the host under which Stacks operates.

For me personally perfomance matters much more.

Bit of a segue there from defending RW’s GDPR capabilities to that point, otherwise I really could not agree with you more. I first raised concerns about preview render times going down the pan years ago. Speed is the main reason my last two or three client builds were non RW.

I love creating website with RW* and each time I have to work with WordPress I am presented the reason why this is so.

Once, I would have agreed with that. Definitely no longer the case with the latest versions of the freeform design frameworks for WP; I best not name them here in case I find myself banished!

I totally respect that you love creating with RW. I simply wonder about how much of what you are loving is Stacks and how much is RW. Have a go at making a mock up of your best site from scratch in just RW (no Stacks or plugins) then try to make that statement again…

1 Like

I know a lot of people probably will not believe this, but I get at least 5-6 tickets a week where someone has been using RapidWeaver for years, now wants to use one of Joe’s products and has NO CLUE what the Stacks Plugin. I am not joking. There are people out there that make their sites strictly in the base setup of RapidWeaver. Some know about the Stacks Plugin, many don’t. I think they either don’t realize that RapidWeaver can no more than just what it includes, or they do not look into it as they do not want to spend the money.

@zeebe
I believe you 100%. I have no reason not to. My point is:

a) What do those sites look like?
b) If those sites DO look good how much effort went into them ( I’d guess a lot ).

I’m nothing special at all, but I know what I’m doing. If I were building from scratch I’d rather use sublime or atom or vsc - at least they have code completion! Last I checked v7.5 of the best web design app for the Mac does not have html code completion in it’s html page type.

Not trying to turn this into a RW/RMS bashing session … just saying that there is so much more potential in the App thats just does not seem to be being exploited.

Love it. That is going to be my new Privacy Policy document.

2 Likes

Dear Gary,

I wouldn’t recommend you use that as your Privacy Policy, as that would just be a little silly, wouldn’t it. I was clearly referring to the fact that RapidWeaver 8 will be GDPR compliant, and people need to keep a little perspective on this new law.

I know these things can be complicated, but I hope that clears things up for you.

Dan

1 Like

RapidWeaver 8 will be a paid upgrade (the first in over two years). You can expect pricing to be in-line with the current upgrade pricing.

Hope that helps :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.