Submit your site to the Made With RapidWeaver Gallery

I submitted my site https://casaejardim.pt and presumably got turned down (there’s no basic courtesy reply).
I’m biased but I’d suggest it’s a pretty good example of what a small business man (i.e. me) can achieve with RW. The type of client RW should be targeting.

Whilst I do believe that mobile is the only way forward though @dave don’t beat yourself up about not getting on the showcase.
If my sites not good enough for the show-case I won’t lose sleep. It seems to be good enough for our clients. Plus @peterdanckwerts is spot on with his assessment of the disastrous submission form.

Call me cynical but I’d also suggest that the reason you can only add stacks listed on the community site is because they form part of paid for advertising. The Purple Bricks Bro’s seem to be monetising everything these days including the help video’s so I’d imagine the ‘Community Site stacks’ is rather an oxymoron.

Very nice, @ricinport. It is a very good example of what one can do in RW and Foundation and it certainly should make the gallery, in my opinion. Perhaps it isn’t flashy enough for the powers that be. Talking of Foundation, this is another problem with the submission process; most of the stacks one uses with Foundation are probably the Foundation ones but they don’t show up in the dropdown, presumably because they are parts of sets. You could use one non-Foundation stack and that would be the only one you could mention.

Oh, no worries from me about not being included, @ricinport. It’s fairly obvious that RMS has its priorities (e.g., all sites are “considered” … however, I only see responsive ones in the gallery) - which is fine. I’ve built some great responsive sites using Foundation - and equally great sites that are not responsive (but have parallel mobi sites to go along with them). Regardless of what RMS says, mobile browsing habits are different then for traditional websites - and I design based upon what the visitor’s needs and wants are.

In addition to @peterdanckwerts comments, which are spot-on, it looks like zero effort was put towards SEO (no H1 tags, title is not descriptive (gallery of the community?), no alt tags on any of the screenshots, no social media connections, no canonical tag, long loading time, etc., etc. Plus, each screenshot is ‘framed’ in white - which means that it’s all but impossible to determine the boundaries of the sites.

If any of my sites ever make it to the gallery - great! But, I’m certainly not losing any sleep over not having a presence on it.

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. We’ll discuss the gallery submission process and your feedback on next week’s show (episode 9) - http://rapidweavercommunity.com/podcasts

Thanks,
Dan

The reason you can only add stacks listed on the site is because we need certain information (icon, name, description, links, etc) for each stack to be able to display it. We can’t go asking you to list someone else addon for them (there’s a lot of issues with us allowing that if you think about it). If the addon isn’t listed, ask the developer to add it…

I want to reiterate that listing addons on the community site is completely 100% free for all developers. I can’t stress this enough: every developer can list all their addons for free (and we have been encouraging them to do so for the past year).

So it’s unfair of you to say that the addons listed on the site “form part of paid for advertising” — that’s not true. We do have some paid for advertising, in the form of “promotions”, but that is completely optional and doesn’t effect whether we list an addon or not. The advertising revenue doesn’t even come close to covering the cost of running the site.

It’s also unfair of you to say that we “seem to be monetising everything these days including the help video’s” — most of the videos on the community site are free for everyone. For example, we just released a three part series on Foundation and Stacks: http://rapidweavercommunity.com/video-tutorials/series/stacks-foundation

See above. We can’t ask you to list developers addons for them. If it’s not listed, ask the developer to add it to the site (for free! ;))

SEO could be better, yes. But it’s not a priority for that section of the site, it’s a gallery for people to browse through. I don’t think it needs to show up #1 in google when some searches for a site.

It is however very time consuming for developers who have many stacks that then need to be prepared for the realmac system and as a consequence they do not go to that trouble and prefer to concentrate on stack development and support.

It is obvious which developers do not appear and it is with great irony that they are the very ones creating some of the most innovative stacks.

It is lose lose for customers.

So why have any limitation on sites in the Gallery? Judge them them on their merit not whether the stacks developers have submitted the stacks used into the Realmac addons and advertising area.

On a side note, that whole promoted addons is a real turn off and the reason I never look at the add ons anymore.

The trouble is, @Ben, that I can’t see how, for instance, Joe Workman can list his Foundation stacks individually when he only sells them in sets. In addition, half the stacks I’ve used recently aren’t on the site. I don’t mind listing them when submit a site but I don’t have time to chase up developers to suggest that they list them. Why does there have to be a dropdown list rather than a text field?

Have you tried to submit an addon?

We’ve made the process as simple as possible for devs. Most developers as listing all their addons, so it can’t be that bad…

Obviously the more addons you have the more time it’d take to submit them. Not sure how we can fix that…

It sure is, and that’s why we’ve been trying to get as many addons listed as possible. Trust me, we’ve been encouraging developers to list their addon for months and months, if they don’t have time, or don’t want to, there’s not much more we can do!

You do realise that you don’t have to fill in which addons the site is using? You can leave that blank.

He can list then individually if he wishes and then explain in the description that it’s part of a bundle… Or he can list them as a bundle as he currently does.

I am looking at adding support for listing bundles and adding multiple versions of an addon.

No I am not a developer but have spoken with a couple who find the process too time consuming to bother doing it.

I tried to submit a site and I certainly HAD to chose 3 listed stacks. It would not go any further until stacks were selected so i just chose 3 random ones.

Interesting, too, that the gallery is anything but responsive- especially in light of how important this seems to be. I still don’t see any non-responsive sites listed - and I’ve seen a lot of excellent non-responsive RapidWeaver sites.

On the other hand I suppose the gallery could be considered responsive - if one doesn’t mind reading one word per line.

That’s obviously a bug — it happens.

Thanks for highlighting it. I’ll get it fixed ASAP.

I have been trying to submit a website to the gallery and keep getting the “something went wrong” error.

@bkbGroup what’s the size of the website screenshot? The most common issue with submission we are aware of is when a screenshot is over 1MB. You can use ImageOptim to optimize your images.

I look forward to seeing your website(s)!

Why does the Gallery remove sites after a certain time? Currently everything up to Oct 4 2015 is lost. Why not leave it all available for everyone to see?

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply Aaron. Checked the file and it is 1176 x 1000 pixels and the file size is only 626 KB. Tried again just now and the same error ?

I’ll take a look at this ASAP

@bkbGroup could you email me the url and the image you’re trying to upload?

ben at realmac software • com

I’ve just published an update to the Community site which fixes some bugs with gallery submissions :slightly_smiling:

Please let me know if you’re still having an problems submitting your sites!

I get the login screen but I cannot login with my email/password.

@oldgustav

I do believe it is a different account than the forum so you may have to create a new account for the general site.

Brad

As @Turtle mentions, the RapidWeaver Community site is a separate login to the one you use for this forum.

If you have already signed up for a RapidWeaver Community account, you can try reseting your password.