Subscription Video Facility

Hi Everyone

I am planning a major update to a client site I have been running for a few years: https://www.yogafreedom.co.uk/

One of the new facilities the client needs to add is a video subscription service for members. I am planning to use the excellent Sitelok to handle the members area and fees will be collected by direct debit via Gocardless.

Each member will pay a monthly subscription for access to a library of pre-recorded Yoga sessions to which she will continuosly add on a weekly basis.

I was originally going to use an HTML 5 video stack to upload the videos directly to the site but she has asked for the facility to be able to do this herself in case I am not available. I considered putting this in a CMS that would give her that functionality but this would mean either just putting all the videos in the same editable block on the RW page or me creating a new area each time. The former may look a bit ungainly and the latter would defeat the object.

I was wondering if anyone has used or could recommend a service that could be integrated with RW that would work and look professional. She does not want to use Youtube or Vimeo. I am aware that Vimeo offer this kind of service but for what she would need, the cost is prohibitive.

I use mainly Foundation and Foundry for building sites.

Thanks Guys

Given the right CSS styling it might not be that ungainly for her to embed and upload using a CMS.

Are you worried that it would just end up being a toilet roll of one vid after another and be impossible to choose one to watch?

Maybe you could use a blog feature that many CMS plugins have, I’ve used Armadillo for this before inside Sitelok. She could add tags or categories and people can look through by date.

Just be careful with upload size limits. There might have to be some server settings to change to allow large file uploads from a CMS.

Thanks Richard, yes that’s pretty much it!

Since I posted this, she has mentioned that she will eventually split them into categories (level 1, level 2 etc.) so I think your blog suggestion could work really well. When we originally did the website, we were very keen to avoid it looking too ‘corporate’ as a lot of them do these days, so this might be the answer going forward. I have experience with Armadillo and also like Elixir’s Alloy blog so I may suggest we look at that.

Thank you!

1 Like

OK, I am looking to go down the ‘blog/CMS’ route but given that these are membership only, she does not want to host on Youtube/Vimeo etc. because she wants to keep them private without having to send invitation URLs out every week to all her subscribers.

I need an HTML 5 video player that will work inside a CMS to allow her to upload the video file from the CMS.

Does @joeworkman’s Total CMS facilitate this and if not, does anyone know if there is one that does?

Have a look at Video Wall. It looks like it will integrate with TotalCMS. There are some instructional videos lower down the page.

These are all Joe’s stacks, so with the Black Friday sale, you’ll get a great deal.

Thanks Neil, I’ll have a closer look at that. I did see that it can accomodate self-hosted videos so that might work. I’m guessing that the movie file is uploaded to the server and Video Wall plays from the link to the file? And if that can also work with the CMS, that would be great. Hopefully Joe will be along soon to clarify (tagged him above).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.