Trepidation around starting my first ecommerce website

It doesn’t have to be either/or. Could be both. :slight_smile:

Completely agree! Before you take too many steps into that particular lake you need to be very aware of what you are getting in to. Since I live in the US I would only sell there or perhaps Canada but that would be it. Too scary with fraud to do this world wide for a small business. Once it leaves your country of origin you are basically shafted should a sale turn sideways.

Thanks all so much for your advice. I think that the pitfalls of doing it myself is too great. I’d consider it if it was uk only but I know my limits! Going to hire a trusted company to get involved.

3 Likes

Hi Gabrielle, I think that is a very good decision. I am getting a regular newsletter (in german) about the pitfalls of e-commerce here in Germany. There are legal requirements you have to meet, which is detailed like what the text for the “buy now” button has to be, where the “buy now” button has to be placed, which information you have to display and send to the customer as well, which rights you have to make sure the customers gets to know by you and more.

For example: guarantees, essential characteristics of the goods, waste oil ordinance, battery law, electrical law, electrical appliance law, textile labeling, etc.

You actually should have a lawyer to look upon your store once it is finished to make sure it passes. The problem by not abiding the rules is more the competition: they present you with a legal warning and the according costs ( can be 1.000,- Euro and more).

Best regards

Jan

1 Like

Wow Jan, that’s quite a list of requirements! Are there similar UK requirements and if so does anyone have a link to them?