Using 2 Computers?

Bruce,

No - by ‘safe’ I mean can a fistful of files from one source (let’s say, The Left) overwriting another set on The Right (in ~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6/Data/Library/Application Support/Rapidweaver, of course) defeat any dependencies from within RW6?

When you install a new Addon now in RW6, it’s true that it can’t just be dragged into that directory; but has to be dropped onto the RW Dock icon.

What ChronoSynch does is effectively just that - populate the Containers directory behind the back of RW.

Could that cause instability in RW’s use of Addons?

All I can say is so far I have had no trouble. I am syncing deletions and deleting them immediately too.

That’s encouraging, Bruce! Thank you :slight_smile: .

When you install an Addon in RW6, then the RW files are obviously changed as well, so they too will be re-synced the next sync time ChronoSync does its thing.

1335Days,

Thanks, which files are you referring to by ‘the RW files’, please? Where?

I’m only using one computer, but I would assume:
~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6/Data/Library/Preferences

Look in that directly at all the plist files, RW itself and all the other addons you’ve installed.

For the installed items themselves:
~\Library\Containers\com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6\Data\Library\Application Support\RapidWeaver

If there might be more somewhere, perhaps someone else is aware of their location(s), but I would think that would do it.

Thanks,

I think it’d have to be from the highest level of:

~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6

because the Container.plist file at that level itself contains a ‘SandboxProfileData’ Key item in the XML.

And that’s what’s worrying me: suppose these values are or have to be different from one machine to another?

IOW could we be dropping data specific to one machine in the equivalent place on another?

Thanks to the ever-reliable VisualDiffer, I worked my way down the two directories from:

~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6/

There were sufficient differences (individual environments’ settings - e.g. PLIsts) between the two installations (on the two different machines) that I reckon it’s only safe to synch (downwards) from:

~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6/Data/Library/Application Support/RapidWeaver

I should note that I own the web version of RW, not the App Store version.

Bruce,

Yes - so do I.

Do you think that makes a difference; I know one concern at RealMac is Apple’s Sandboxing requirements that users don’t mess with the fold hierarchy.

I can’t say for sure, but I get the impression that Sandboxing is a concern.

Almost certainly. Please leave the creation of these folders to RW (which asks OS X to generate them). As someone who’s spent considerable time working with the system, please don’t give in to temptation and try to manually recreate the root ~/Library/Containers/com.realmacsoftware.rapidweaver6 location!

—N

Nik - does RapidWeaver have an “officially recommended” way to move a web site I have created on 1 computer to a new computer?

Here’s the page on moving to a new computer:

http://help.realmacsoftware.com/hc/en-us/articles/201980822-How-can-I-move-RapidWeaver-from-one-Mac-to-another-

1 Like

LePan, Here is what I get when I try to go to the old link.

1 Like

I’ve been using Dropbox only as my file storage for RW files for 2 years solid now. Never had a single issue so i’d disagree with that statement.

1 Like

That’s good for you.
My post ist from juli 15, 2015.
Many have no problems, but others had. Realmac himself doesn’t recommended this. (But the document is no longer available.)

In the meantime, has probably done a lot.
But, do not use the same file at the same time on 2 computers.

Me too, I have RW files on dropbox, but not as backup. No problems, I have seen.
When a backup on dropbox, only compressed.

If you follow these basic rules, dropbox will NEVER be an issue:

I have been doing this for over 4 years now, and have only had one corruption, and it was my fault, not dropbox’s. If you are going to do this, you have to be sure you follow these rules:

1. NEVER have the file open on more than one machine at a time.
  2. NEVER allow two people to work on the same file at the same time.
  3. ALWAYS be sure your computer has synced completely with Dropbox before opening your file, EVEN if what is syncing is NOT associated with your file.
  4. When possible, compress your file as a backup, so if something big does happen, you have a backed up version of your file. You may also want a back up off of dropbox for same reason.

I follow these rules for any important files (since I do support for Joe Workman, I am constantly working on different project files on different computers depending on the time of day, so for dumb test files, I might not follow my backup rules, but I am sure on the syncing and only open on one machine. The only issue I ever had was working late one night, I left a project open downstairs, fell asleep working on it, woke up, didn’t save it and went to bed. Next morning I started working on the laptop this time and saved it, that killed my project file.

1 Like

My files are in iCloud. So far I have not had any problems. I do follow @zeebe’s “basic rules.” In a recent RW Podcast Nik and Dan talk about RW7’s new feature called “Portable Documents.” That is supposed to help opening a file on two machines. I wonder how that will prevent it being open and worked on at the same time.