Stacks 3 Public Beta

@ryanbsmith: Thanks for putting together the intro video and the more extended ones!

It’s called Reason by Nick Cates. It’s a nice one. Very simple. It’s one of the built in themes. I think I just selected a few colors to make it show up nice in the video – but nothing custom was used and there is no extra CSS or anything – everything straight from the tin. :wink:

Isaiah

Yes - got it. Thanks, Isaiah!

The wait was worth it. Thanks for dedicating a year+ to this update. A lot of people will reap what you’ve just sown in endless projects for themselves and make $$ from clients.

Stacks 3 changes lives people!

2 Likes

Well said Michael, well said! :thumbsup:

Incredible feature updates, beautiful intuitive design … I’m blown away !!
Thanks so much @isaiah

1 Like

Seems great, as it usually happens with things from Isaiah. Don’t have time to betatest it now, but I will surely upgrade to 3 as soon as it will be released. Many thanks

2 Likes

Stacks 3 is stable and fast. I’m using it every day now and it’s working great. I liked Stacks 2 as well but this upgrade feels more polished and the new interface is very slick.

1 Like

I thought that it was mass hysteria, but Stacks 3 really is that good.

2 Likes

Now, with Stacks 3, I have no longer a real icon in my project window.
It’s only a Stack Icon, armadillo, Foundation.Tests …

@oscar : This is one of those rare times I get to use that famous developer phrase, “That’s a feature not a bug,” and really mean it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Previews are great. And a lot of people love them. But saving previews can be very very very slow – especially for complex projects. This is why both Stacks and RapidWeaver now come with options to disable previews.

We decided to turn it off by default (at least for a while). We wanted to people to experience how fast Stacks 3 can be and then make the choice to enable that feature with open eyes.

Isaiah

1 Like

We’ve posted a more complete feature breakdown of Stacks 3 to the YourHead Blog – have a look and download the beta.

Enjoy!
Isaiah

Wait, what’d I miss?

@isaiah
Thank you for your response … but why not with all previews?
split2 and Waterfall are saved too today.

Downloaded Stack 3 (beta), installed it and payed the upgrade. Stacks is the most wanted Rapidweaver plugin. Happy sinds the first day the Stacks plugin arrived.

@oscar: i’m not sure. if you contact me via support or through the Stacks slack cannel and send the file i can give you more precise details.

@isaiah

Thank you. It’s not a problem.
I have changed the settings to preview.

Now I have all previews again. There is no problem to solve :wink:

Stacks 3 is a wonderful tool.

@isaiah
The reason for the different icons is simple, I think.
I have changed the homepages for testing this.
When the home page is a stacks page, the stacks icon appears.
Is the homepage of the project not a stacks page, the preview icon appears.

I agree completely! I bought Global Content and love it but now I can’t use it really because it’s not compatible with the Blueball Freestack Theme, so Partials looks like a similar solution :wink: I wish the link to the download was in html somewhere, gotta go back through the vid to find it now :slight_smile:

I used Global Content with Foundation and liked it but overall Partials seems like the way forward as even Joe is now advising.

Frankly I like seeing the content on the preview page without needing to publish to the server. Partials is also simpler to implement and doesn’t require .php pages if you don’t want them. They can also be individually edited on specific pages and that can’t be done with Global Content. In addition Global Content pages were often flagged inside Google Webmaster as not being mobile friendly. It was Google’s mistake.

On a performance level I don’t know if there is any difference in speed or SEO value between Partials and Global Content but for building the site Partials is the standout breakthrough for Rapidweaver in recent times.

One slight point to be aware of is that Rapidweaver will often switch a page from .php to .html after you remove Global Content and add a Partial instead. I view this as a Rapidweaver bug and in theory it could lead to lots of 404 errors if you have links going to .php pages. It also means that if you have .php pages on the server RW will upload .html pages alongside them causing all sorts of possible problems unless you are vigilant.