Stacks won't display any stacks in the panel

This symptom of having the addons window display the addons, but then having a totally different set of addons within Stacks crops up from time to time. Usually I see it after a big OS install or when the user has multiple versions of RapidWeaver installed on the same machine.

There seems to be some confusion inside RW of where the addons actually are being loaded from.

Whatever the cause and details of the problem, I’ve had very good reports of people setting/unsetting the location of RapidWeaver addons directory.

1. Open a RW file.
  2. Click the Plug icon in the toolbar (addons button) to open the Addons window
  3. Now we’re going to un-set and re-set the addons location. The instructions vary slightly depending one whether you already have a custom location set. So follow choose the correct one below:

If the Addons Folder Location popup-menu-button has a custom folder:

• Make a note of the location of the addons folder
  • Choose Managed by RapidWeaver
  • Click the “Change Folder” button in the popup that follows.
  • RW will ask you to Quit and Restart
  • After RW restarts click the Plug icon again to open the Addons window
  • Click the popup-menu again. This time re-select your custom folder.

If the Addons Folder Location popup-menu-button says Managed by RapidWeaver:

• Choose “Other” and then select select any dummy folder. Your Home folder or Desktop Folder is fine.
  • RW will ask you to Quit and Restart
  • After RW restarts click the Plug icon again to open the Addons window
  • Click the popup-menu again. This time re-select Managed by RapidWeaver.
  1. Finally you will be prompted to restart RapidWeaver again.

At this point RapidWeaver should be synced to the folder location and the OS will give it permissions to read the contents of this directory.

Since your previous attempts to install updates and new things might have been going to the wrong place or prevented entirely, I would recommend installing the updates and new stacks again just to be safe.

A fresh copy of Stacks from http://yourhead.com/stacks would be a good idea, if you haven’t already done that…

I would normally also recommend re-downloading a fresh copy of RapidWeaver directly from their respective websites. SetApp normally is quite good at that bit. If you do decide to uninstall/reinstall via SetApp you be care of the “uninstall completely” as it may uninstall your addons as well – so make sure you have a backup copy to re-install after.

If, after this little de-select/re-select dance does not seem to have any changes in the behavior of things
then please contact me directly: http://yourhead.com/support/

1 Like