Breadcrumbs text inflexibility

I am working on a multilingual web site and, unfortunately, I can not change the “Currently viewing” breadcrumbs text string in the default English to any other language. Breadcrumbs text remains the only hard-coded text that can not be changed by the user in RW settings. Is there any reason why?

I contacted the theme developer in the hope that he might be able to update the theme with a user-input text area for that part of the footer. Unfortunately, it seems that RapidWeaver’s API does not allow any text inputs in themes.

So, why not create such text input in the General Settings of RW itself? We already have text inputs for various data, like title, slogan, website address, email address and even for the footer – but not for breadcrumbs. Isn’t that odd? Or am I missing something?

EDIT
To clarify: not all multi-language websites are built with separate sets of pages for each language. You can achieve the desired functionality with stacks that allow all language-versions to reside on the same page (RWML stack suite from TsoojMedia and upcoming i18n stack from inStacks). IMHO, this method is superior to building separate websites for each language, but it requires better flexibility from the site-buider-application.

I up-vote this feature request too.

It would be great if a theme developer could setup a dictionary array of customisable field names in the theme.plist file like this:

%currently_viewing%
%breadcrumb_seperator%
%mobile_nav_title%
%search_button%

RapidWeaver could then display some empty text boxes in the inspector. A user could then very easily modify the titles of elements within the theme. This would solve the need for people needing to manually duplicate / rename the theme and modify the code in files like index.html. The theme developer would place these macro’s in the theme index.html file, where the customisable text or labels are to be shown.

Like RapidWeaver 7 can display a default banner image when a user provides no banner image, I suppose the theme developer could also provide default titles, if a user does not want to change them?

Although CSS 3 has blessed us with the ‘content’ property for adding labels and other text strings, inherently this cannot handle more lengthy segments of content or special characters / HTML code. The above approach would be a lot more robust and flexible. It would permit a level of theme editing that has never been feasible before. Potentially this could even rival ExtraContent.

2 Likes

To all macros proposed by Will, I would add one more – for the browser-title. Although one can input the text into browser-title, one can not place there the text in more than one language, which is a disadvantage when working with multi-language website.