BWD MagicGellan Links Seeming Inactive

I’m now trying to use MagicGellan as a second menu in my Screens site. Second time doing so, but I’m starting to understand more. I’ve set it up to where the Magic Markers identify specific Screens Pages within the Screens Site, and they appear on the menu just fine. They even show the anchor link when I hover over the Menu Text. But, when I click on the link from the menu, it doesn’t do anything. Why doesn’t it redirect me to the Magic Marker? It works on the site’s home page, which is built using Foundation but doesn’t seem to be working with the same settings on this Screens Site.

MagicGellan (or the default Foundation Magellan) scroll to a specified position on your page. On a screens page there is no where to scroll.

Screens pages do not scroll, all the “Screens Pages” are just moved in and out of the browser viewport without the page actually scrolling. These translations give the impression of scrolling. To be clear, the page height is the same as the browser height and so the scroll position does not change.

Magellan will try to scroll the page to a scroll position where the marker is. If the markers are within a screens stack they are all in fact within the “first page” of content (which is the only page of content). Think of Screens a bit like a vertical slider, rather than a page of content and it might be a bit more obvious.

I hope this makes it at least a little clearer.

Thanks a ton, Tav! That totally makes sense. Like I said, I’m new to MagicGellan. It’s a great tool for another page on the same site, but I’ll go with something else for the Screens Page.

The easiest way to create a bespoke second menu is with # links to the screens pages (and slides). You can also use the special classes to navigate as well. If you use stacks to which you assign a custom class you can simply enter the classes in the custom class field and utilise screens built in functions. I did a post on these navigation classes here.
This way you can mix and match between links to Screens pages and links to other pages on your site or external links.

1 Like

Hey Tav!
Please… Is it possible to get a bit more detail regarding Nav Classes?
I read your linked post and I would love to see if I can implement your solutions.

If you have a forum or any more info I can research… or, if you want to work online with me. Im good to go.

I hope to be using some elements that will give me results like I am seeing with…
“OFF CANVAS”
“ICON BAR”
“MAGELLAN” / “MAGIC-GELLAN” / “SECTIONS”

I want a strictly mobile site that screens up and down and will also slide left and right in the slickest way possible.

I like the left & right dual menu feature in the
“OFF CANVAS” menu stack.

It will be so cool if there is some solution that will take the user from an “off canvas” menu selection down 1, 2 or 3 screens…
then…
slide left or right 1, 2 or 3 slides to a final screens page. then back up and/or over to another…

I want to make a super clean nav menu with a faux-searching animated screens type mobile site under it.

ZIP ZIP ZIP SWISH-SWOOSH… RESULTS!

Any thoughts?

Kindest regards…
Steve

@Steve-O The post above, of course referred to the Screen stack. Screens works great with offCanvas and you can drop a Screens menu into an off canvas to automatically generate links to the screens pages.

The custom classes can be triggered simply by adding those classes to any element. Most people use a ButtonPlus for this as it has a custom class setting into which you can just put those values. Alternatively you can use a cssbox stack or similar to wrap any other stack with the custom class.
In addition you can assign the class to a link and just form a link list with hard links to the actual pages and slides, rather than having just relative up, down, left, right. These could be added to the off canvas menu so that you could provide user links to all content instead of just the pages - i.e. the slides as well.

Many people have done similar things and it may be worth posting on the G+ group and asking the question, I’m sure that several people will have examples of similar type set ups.

I think that the best way forward would be to mock up the page / slide structure so that we can see it and then it will be relatively easy to help you to sort out the appropriate navigation.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit vague but as soon as we can see the structure, I think we can put a lot more meat on the bones.