Chillidog server with basic RapidWeaver's built-in Contact Form

I have learned from customers that using RW8 basic contact form on our hosted Chillidog site that we are not receiving form emails ?
can someone clarify what needs to be done ? Would like to cut thru the chase.
For years our primary mail communication has been a gmail account.
Contact Form | RapidWeaver Classic Manual.

Did you contact Chillidog @barchard yet?

Greg is very helpful and very knowledgable about Rapidweaver.

Scrolling to the bottom of the RapidWeaver Classic Manual page you linked to might do it. :wink:

1 Like

There are a couple issues that, unfortunately, we can’t address. This is due to industry changes to how email is validated and authenticated.

1. the built-in RW contact form sets the FROM field on the email. If you put in Gmail.com as the FROM field, we’re not Gmail and thus our servers will never pass their SPF checks
  2. if you put in a valid email for his domain, it’d work better but likely go to SPAM because the FROM is forged by the contact form. You need to use a contact form that supports smtp.

My recommendation is to:

1. Create a mailbox in your control panel for your domain
  2. Use a contact form Stack or Plugin (e.g., FormsPlus) that supports SMTP
  3. Use the local SMTP server for your control panel to send the email. On Chillidog, you can use the SMTP server as localhost and Port 25.

If you have questions, just let us know.

Your top dog,
Greg

1 Like

Thank you for this, I was struggling to find out why I wasn’t getting any results from gmail address.

Should the form submission with SMTP work on rapidweaver preview in browser prior to uploading to web?

Can you tell me if there is support for Foundation 6 fields? If I put the Foundation 6 form fields in an empty stack what will happen?

Thanks,
John

Hi,

Should the form submission with SMTP work on rapidweaver preview in browser prior to uploading to web?

No, you’d have to publish to connect to the SMTP server when using the localhost hostname. I recommend using localhost because the DNS resolution will be faster so the form submits faster.

Can you tell me if there is support for Foundation 6 fields? If I put the Foundation 6 form fields in an empty stack what will happen?

I don’t understand this question, sorry. Can you please rephrase the question?

Thanks

Thanks Greg
I’ve downloaded “Setting Up Email Accounts” and will be setting up a new Apple Mail.app account. I appreciate the articulate instructions.
I’m presuming in step 1. name , new email address and password are arbitrary ?
so theRapid weaver “Send To” [ new Chillidog mail ] will basically be invisible to the sender using the “Contact Us” form.
our primary business email has been > tomswellservice@gmail.com.

• how does the name play into the setup ?
  • email format ? blabla@whateverwant . what ?
  • password … whatever
    I’m actually assisting in setting this up for my daughter in law and she’s very articulate about such choices so I will be asking her what name, email & password to use.
    please advise.

how about RW foundation Email stack ? Does it support SMTP ?