CMS for RapidWeaver by Joe Workman

@Sassafras Page Safe is not particularly cheap at $24 Dollars, but it is loaded with functionality and is very easy to use for non-technies (looks pretty cool too). It can support multiple page locks, not just a CMS Admin page for example. Most other CMS solutions I’ve tried (or got) does require creating a MYSQL Database and whilst this can?, sometimes, be relatively easy on some Hosts, it can be a real ‘pain in the butt’ on others. In some cases, you may have to upgrade your Host service to support the creation of multiple databases (and this can cost more than Page Safe). Joe may of course consider a cut-down version of Page Safe as an addition to Easy CMS, as the cry for login protection will almost certainly increase as Easy CMS rolls-out to more users. I certainly would not recommend any option, however, that requires mucking about with databases - it could take the ‘Easy’ out of the product.

While I don’t usually gripe about the money, that is a case where I did gripe. I can’t imagine releasing a CMS that is wide open, or that at least appears to be so. I bought Pagesafe though, it was easy to set up and works. So, perhaps I too got what I paid for.

@kpryce1 Thanks - I will go and have a play with Easy CMS as I am sure it will make my life easier and see what I can do with other stacks. Sounds like I should also explore Armadillo as a blog solution. Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

@kpryce1 Long time no see! Thanks for the great feedback.

@davehughes $50 for Easy CMS + $50 for Armadillo… Why not just use Total CMS for a complete integrated solution?

Thanks for everyone’s feedback on authentication on Easy CMS. My goal was to offer the best possible value for customers. I knew that there were many existing authentication solutions out there. So I thought this would be a good way to keep the cost down by not integrating that into the cost. If I had, I would need to increase the cost of the product because I do have ongoing support costs for these products. Not to mention all of the features and updates that will be coming out in the future. I am sure that you know me by now… just because I ship a product does not mean that it I am done making it better :smile:

1 Like

@joeworkman The pricing per se isn’t the problem other than I have a number of small blogs (mine / friends/ charities) and it is the cost per domain approach on Total CMS that makes that more expensive. None of them are commercial so hard to justify using Total CMS. If it was just one, you are right - I’d just use Total CMS. That’s was why my original question was whether the blog functionality would be separate from the CMS. In a perfect world there would be a personal/not for profit pricing for Total CMS but I recognise that would be entirely unenforceable!

@davehughes I can understand that. In an ideal world I could trust people to purchase the licenses that they would require. But as you say, its unenforceable and sadly too many people would take advantage of the situation.

@davehughes It doesn’t sound as though (apart from blogging) that you need Total CMS. I would buy it if I could use it on multiple sites, but my sites are all for friends and family (no revenue stream for me). If I add up my expenditures for Easy CMS, Page Safe and Armadillo it exceeds to cost of Total CMS - BUT - I have unlimited use of all these products and can mix & match them to meet my needs on 3 main domains and several sub-domains. The future for blogging within RW itself looks like taking the same licensing root as Joe - a charge per domain, but Armadillo is my choice for blogging (mainly because I’ve been using it since Version 1 and my users are happy with it). Armadillo 2, mainly because of my Hosts, has been quite painful, working out that it won’t work on my sub-domains. I purchased Version 2 because I wanted the "Solo’ option to be able to give users amendable content on every page. It works brilliantly on Main Domains but you might need help to succeed on a number of Host servers. Now here’s the great thing - Easy CMS is not Host dependent (except for PHP which all respectable Hosts support) and I’m building it into about 20 pages on 1 of my sites, to include Text embedded in others stacks like Calligraphy & Google Fonts; Images in Slide Shows & Galleries & Lightboxes; YouTube Videos with embedded share code inserted in other stacks as well. The bottom line appears to be that if you have a Stack that supports insertion of another Stack - CMS works perfectly.
So, put simply, as Joe is unlikely to enhance CMS with Login functionality nor include a Blog Page. I recommend my combination of Easy CMS + Armadillo + Page Safe. Zero further costs and unlimited use on Multiple Web Sites. My only caveat is that Armadillo is Database dependent (unlike Joe’s offering) and you need a Host that permits multiple Database Creation. I use GoDaddy (which has some down-sides), but allows you to create unlimited sub-domains & 250 Databases.

@joeworkman Easy CMS is your best work for some time and frankly after my frustrations with other CMS solutions, I can’t praise it more highly. My users, whose sites I’m gradually updating significantly with Easy CMS on every page are pretty amazed at my new found skills - not yet owned up to your contribution.

4 Likes

The only fault with using Easy CMS + Armadillo is that your users now have 2 places to log into in order to edit their content. This is what I was referring to in my video that CMS solutions for RapidWeaver have been fragmented. I think having a one stop shop to go to edit your site is very valuable and sellable to your customers.

@joeworkman Couldn’t agree more Joe, and setting up the login on Armadillo can be painful with some Host Servers. I use a very early Version of GoDaddy and it would cost $100 plus to upgrade to use Armadillo in full (i.e with ‘Solo’). I just love Page Safe and personally, if I only wanted to use CMS on a single site I would, without doubt, opt for Total CMS after trying it out with the Demo, particularly as you have a Blog Page on the horizon. A good CMS solution for non-commercial use has been a long time coming, and you’ve hit most of the buttons. As you’ve noticed me mention, I’ve got Easy CMS embedded inside other stacks and its just amazing how EASY it all works.
I don’t think your charges for full blown commercial sites are excessive as I know people who charge several thousand dollars for some sites - the licence for Total CMS would be lost in the ‘wash’. My only gripe on behalf of others, would be lack of security in Easy CMS, if I didn’t have Page Safe. But I realise to build that into Easy CMS would up the cost and, to be honest, I actually like the total flexibility (and ease of use) of Page Safe so don’t personally have a problem.
Now here’s a thought - How about an Easy CMS Plus, including a Blog Page.
Regards Ken

1 Like

I found this stack in the Total CMS Admin group and don’t find a description what it is.

You must have show hidden stacks turned on, it is just the stack that we use that checks for updates. If you turn of show hidden stacks then it will disappear.

Thanks, that works - didn’t see that it was turned on…

Now an Easy CMS Plus including a Blog page would be great!

Having said that, I have got Armadillo running the blog fine (along with a nice Eclipse background) - took a little bit of setting up but once done, it’s great.

The rest of the site being handled through Easy CMS (along with Page Safe) which I have to say is brilliant. Great piece of coding by Joe.

I recommend them all!

Dave

1 Like

If have a PageSave site at a Domain together with a Armadillo site, then the site don’t load anymore (repeating a page load forever). The Total CMS Blog is not available at the moment and I need a easy, but not visible Blog, for a project. Armadillo is great for the Blog and PageSave great for the login, but on our server they don’t like each other.

Cant help I’m afraid - mine work fine together. They are obviously on separate pages in my site. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge than me can help.

@WDA I do not think that Page Safe will work with Armadillo. You will need to have them on different pages. Use Page Safe to protect the Easy CMS admin page. And then use Armadillo’s login to get into that.

1 Like

:wink: thanks, Joe - your are too fast. I was just typing that to davehughes. I just bought Sitelok to solve this issue and hope you will release your Total CMS Blog Stack soon.

Hi!

I don’t know if the question was answered, sorry if it is, but what is the easiest way to do a Table (like in Excell) that can be editable easily by a client in EasyCME or TotalCMS?

Amazing suite of stack Joe!

There is a table feature inside Hipwig editor inside Total CMS. However, a better and more flexible way to make tables would be to use PowerGrid CSV to import a CSV file that is managed by Total CMS. This way, you can update the table just by dragging and dropping a new CSV file into the CMS.

Easy CMS does not support file management so you would need Total CMS.