Colors not matching up?

Sure - it’s filed at https://bugreport.apple.com as bug ID 32050412. You can file an enhancement request that looks something like this:

It’s best to reference the original bug report so that the developers at Apple can refer back to it, and will know that you’re just sending a “+1” rather than reporting a new issue.

2 Likes

@simon I am struggling to believe this explanation. When a colour is set in the Stacks well to say a colour of #FF5867, that colour is added to the well correctly. If that colour well is examined with something like Sip, the colour is found to be correct and is displayed correctly. At this point I would expect RW to use that exact colour stored as a correct variable.

However, when a stacks element on a RW page is set to use that colour, the element now looks very different and using a tool like Sip, the colour is found to be #FF5963, which is a very different shade of red to what it should be. Similarly with a Theme such as Tesla and setting the page BG colour to #FF5867, creates a Previewed and Published BG colour of #FF5963 ! Therefore, this is not a Stacks issue but is a RW issue. See this http://d.pr/i/RyM6X

No other Mac App I can think of does this with colours and there would be uproar is Adobe or Sketch said there if a bug in OSX and we can’t do anything about it. So how come RW cannot get this to work when other developers can either fix it or find a work around?

1 Like

Hi @webdeer,

As I inferred above, this isn’t a Stacks issue. We’ve been working directly with Apple to identify this issue, and they seem to think that the issue is on their end. We’ve managed to replicate it in a very simple sample project that uses no code from RapidWeaver at all.

You’ll notice that Adobe’s suite of tools, Sketch and Sip don’t use Apple’s built-in color picker. Why do you think this might be? It’s certainly not because they want make extra work for themselves.

We could potentially use an open source color picker, should there even be one with the right kind of license, but then we’ll need to coordinate with plugin developers to ensure that any change in behaviour works well for them too. Likewise if we write our own - but then that takes our limited time away from working on other awesome stuff in RapidWeaver.

Or we could work with Apple to hopefully fix the problem for everyone.

I’m sorry that you don’t believe my explanation, but I’m struggling to understand why you think I’d lie about this. When we reported this issue to Apple, we provided them with a sample project as well as a video of the sample project being used. It should hopefully be posted below - you should be able to spot that this project exists completely outside RapidWeaver.

https://d2ppvlu71ri8gs.cloudfront.net/items/1X033R3n2l3v0e3H0U0b/colourspace%20dropper%20issue.mov

Cheers,

Simon

1 Like

@simon I wasn’t for a second accusing anyone of lying but was saying that I find it difficult to accept the explanations on this issue that has been going on for years.

Just to clarify this exact issue. If I add a hex colour into the OSX Colour picker, that colour will correctly be shown when an RW settings colour well is clicked on, by examining the picker hex box. I.e. the same hex colour is selected and displayed from within the colour picker. When RW then previews or publishes that page, the hex colour is changed to a different colour and sometimes this is visibly obvious particularly with red colours.

I can send you a project file but all you need to do is open a blank Tesla (or any other theme) page, set the BG to say #C6434B and the Previewed and Published page and the code, will have a BG NOT set to #C6434B. Surprisingly, I did more testing today and could not reproduce the issue on new and existing files illustrating there must be some other variable at play here. Yesterday I could not match a single hex colour and today I can. (I updated OSX 10.11.6 to the lated security fix yesterday morning so it wasn’t that). Yesterday I spent hours trying to match RW colours and debug what was happening and today the colours are fine! You can imagine how frustrating this can be as a user but I also know how frustrating this must be for the developer.

Today, I canot reproduce the situation in the screenshot I linked to above, so there is something unexplained going on.

If RW needs a new colour picker then please consider it. Autodesk Graphic App has its own colour picker and in addition, an option to use the OSX picker, so it is possible to have both as options.