Customising Blog / Split Theme

Hi there,

So I am new to Rapidweaver, and have created my new site with it - action ecology.com - and generally am happy with the look of the Split theme overall (though I am intending to come back when I have more time and maybe re-build using Stacks to tweak a few things) - however, I am not happy with how the standard ‘Blog’ page lists posts and I can’t find anywhere to edit or customise this.

Even when creating a new site (with no theme) it seems that the standard Rapidweaver blog page has no place to customise much.

What I am looking to do is:

1. Be able to include an image thumbnail (preferably) next to the summary paragraph (the blog page looks quite bland with just text)
  2. Be able to adjust font and/or type size of the blog page
  3. Also easily insert images and lay them out in some WYSIWYG way within the posts themselves (or pages for that matter) - adjust thumbnail size / text wrapping etc. without having to learn code (if at all possible).

Sorry if these seem like noob questions but these sorts of things always seemed much easier and intuitive to me in iWeb (less so in Dreamweaver before that) and I need a couple of pointers.

(Note: I have also purchased stacks 3 and - after some initial playing am hoping there is some way that I can use that to create what I want, but I’m not finding Rapidweaver as intuitive to use as iWeb was for basic font/image/layout stuff …so far).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks @actionecology!

1. You can add an image in the blog, reduce it’s size and go to “format > align left” to do that. For something more automatic Stacks like rwwriter.com have built-in thumbnails

2. You can adjust font size in the Split theme settings!

3. For a WYSIWYG way in Pages, Stacks will help you with that. For Blogs it’s not that simple and format align left / right is the pretty much the best you can do in that case.

Be great to hear how you get on!

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help!

1. The drag and drop images into the summary tab was a revelation - though I really want some way to change the text wrap - as it’s very clunky having an image above or below text like that. Why are such simple things so difficult in RW?

2. Changing the txt size is also a bit tricky - I can see that you have the option of making text size normal, large or small in Master style > Font Size, but it’s not appearing to make any difference. Most of my body txt is not set with a style (so it’s defaulting to Helvetica I think) which may have something to do with it, but then again none of the headings are changing either so not sure what that’s controlling. Again, it would be so much easier if I could just adjust font and size easily like you can in well, pretty much every other application that handles text.

3. I am (when I can find the time) playing with draft versions of my pages using stacks, but have yet to stumble across any major wins there. We’ll see. The blog thing is really the main hassle for me right now. I just want to create a simple blog with entries that have a thumbnail and text - and also be able to easily create posts in which I can easily resize images and format the text in common ways - without having to pay extra.

As much as I like what Rapidweaver is trying to do, it starts to feel like a pyramid scheme at times where to you pay to get it, but then you have to pay again if you want basic functionality and if you want to do another slightly different but simple thing you have to pay again and if you want to learn how to use it in more than a VERY basic way you have to pay and so on… I like it, at least I want to like it, and I want to recommend it to others but it’s starting to feel like an endless money pit - just to be able to do fairly basic things. It’s frustrating.

For example, I liked the look of the Iceland theme, it costs $40 or whatever, perfectly reasonable but (correct me if I have misunderstood what ‘prerequisites’ mean), it looks like you have to have purchased over $300 worth of add ons to run it! That just sounds insane.

Anyway, thanks again for your help - and I would love to know if there are any other little formatting / editing tricks for working with themes that I may have missed. Appreciate you taking the time to help. :slight_smile:

That can be done with Poster Stack:
https://www.rapidweavercommunity.com/addons/stacks/poster-stack

Of course there are also some prequisites like Stacks 3 and PHP.

4 Likes

Thanks for that, great suggestion. :slight_smile: I might get that.
I have Stacks 3 but I’m curious as to why PHP is listed as a prerequisite - what exactly does that mean? Does it just mean that you want to have PHP enabled/set up on your web server? (I do), or does it refer to something else within rapid weaver itself?

Thanks!

Hi Shane,
Just on the web server.
Cheers!

2 Likes