Disqus linking to deleted web pages

Hi,
I use Rapidweaver to manage a small site for the local photography club. About eighteen months ago I added links to Disqus to enable comments on the site. Later I updated the site removing the blog pages. I have just added a new blog page and enabled Disqus comments. Unfortunately Disqus “helpfully” provides a list if other comments that were previously part of the deleted pages. Even more unfortunately is that the links to these deleted pages still work and open in my browser. I would like to understand what is happening.

I have tried deleting the comments and discussions via my Disqus admin login but while they are flagged as deleted they are still listed on my clubs web site.

I have forced a complete upload of my site but the old pages must still be lurking inside the directory that holds the site on the server. While my next action is to review the contents of the directory and delete everything I suspect that this will just lead to broken links.

I have two questions (if my assumptions are sound) 1) Is it possible to have Rapidweaver delete pages on the server?
2) Is there any way to delete comments/discussions from the account on Disqus when logged in as admin? (I apologise that this is a not a question about RapidWeaver but I find the Disqus web site very confusing)

best wishes
Simon

@skids

1. You’re going to have to go into the server using an FTP program, RapidWeaver NEVER deletes from the server.

2. I don’t use Disqus so have no suggestions other than deleting the files fro your server (You may have to rename your current blog folder for Disqus not to find it and put old comments in - not sure though)

Brad

Hi Brad,
Thanks for your comment. I have done as you suggest and have deleted all the files using FTP software. The links to old comments are no longer displayed as I guess Disqus checks to see if the page still exists. I suspect that they may still cause a problem if I happen to reuse a page of the same name but I guess that time will tell.

You say that you don’t use Disqus, does this mean that you can recommend a different comment system?

best wishes

Simon

1 Like

@skids

I haven’t used any commenting systems in a very long time and when I did, it was db self-hosted (back in the day). But with todays sharing of everything everywhere on various Social Media systems, I am going to have to take the plunge sometime and investigate Disqus and Facebook commenting systems if I need such a service. Currently I don’t so am spending refresher time on other things like PHP & CSS lol

Brad