Electronic Book Posting

Our site is planning to give away some electronic books, ipub., and .mobi. What the best way to post them in or page. Is it like de .pdf?

Humberto
Stormy Puerto Rico

There may be a better way, but I use Embed stack from Stacks4Stacks for the same purpose. This stack lets you, for example, read the pdf document on-line and/or download it to your computer. You can use this stack for pdf, audio, video, iFrames, etc. Did I mention that this stack is free?

1 Like

Thanks Rovertek
Will it work with .epu and .mobi?I will try and let you know. I also use that stack for my .pdf.
Gracias,
HumbertoStormy Puerto Rico

I am not sure. I think you will be better off if you get an answer to that question directly from @willwood .

I honestly do not know. There is lots of conflicting information online, regarding browser support of .epu and .mobi formats. Both these formats seem to be newcomers and I have never tested them with the Embed stack. You will need to try this yourself and see what happens.

You may also need to adjust your MIME settings on the hosting server, so that the web browser knows to render the file in the page, instead of downloading it. The same would probably be true of any addon advertising itself as supporting .epu and .mobi formats. The web hosting company would be best to ask, if you needed help with this.

As info… we have many downloads of ebooks each day and I simply code “force downloads” of epubs and mobi’s. A “force download” uses a text or graphic link to run a very short (depends on amount of error checking) php script to “force” download the file.

If you want to keep the file location anonymous use Linklok URL in conjunction with Amazons s3 service. Linklok URL has an option to easily config it for S3. We use S3 for our over 90 free downloads (paid is delivered by cart.)

ePubs and mobi’s are not new. People just are not as familiar with them. The defacto place to keep up on eBooks and such is https://www.mobileread.com/ which as a set of forums which convers all aspects of ebooks from obtaining, to creation, latest tech, formats, coding, etc… plus… they maintain their own free library. It’s a must visit site for anyone involved with ebook and ebook tech.

1 Like

Thanks Will

I will try and keep you posted.

Gracias,

Humberto
Stormy Puerto Rico

Thanks Greg
I will visit the mobile read, ask some questionsand keep all you guys informs.
Gracias,
HumbertoStormy Puerto Rico

1611mac Greg Schneck
November 2 |

As info… we have many downloads of ebooks each day and I simply code “force downloads” of epubs and mobi’s. A “force download” uses a text or graphic link to run a very short (depends on amount of error checking) php script to “force” download the file.

If you want to keep the file location anonymous use Linklok URL in conjunction with Amazons s3 service. Linklok URL has an option to easily config it for S3. We use S3 for our over 90 free downloads (paid is delivered by cart.)

ePubs and mobi’s are not new. People just are not as familiar with them. The defacto place to keep up on eBooks and such is https://www.mobileread.com/ which as a set of forums which convers all aspects of ebooks from obtaining, to creation, latest tech, formats, coding, etc… plus… they maintain their own free library. It’s a must visit site for anyone involved with ebook and ebook tech.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Rovertek Rob D
November 1 |

There may be a better way, but I use Embed stack from Stacks4Stacks for the same purpose. This stack lets you, for example, read the pdf document on-line and/or download it to your computer. You can use this stack for pdf, audio, video, iFrames, etc. Did I mention that this stack is free?
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.