Error 404 if anyone tries to access subfolder directly (vs. linking within page)

I’m wondering if anyone can help. I’m guessing this is something simple. When I go to, for example, www.cuxcel.com/survey I will get a 404 error. But, from within my webpage, if i link to that exact same URL (under the services menu) the link works just fine. For some reason i can’t just give people that address to open directly without having to navigate my page to get to it.

You got bit by the fact that most file systems used on web servers are case sensitive. “Survey” (as you named the folder) is not the same as “survey” (as you are linking to).

This is why it’s a good idea to always use lowercase-only for folder and file names for your website pages.

2 Likes

Thank you SOOO much. Man do I feel dumb. Wasted 2 hours trying to figure it out. I changed everything to lower case now and it seems to be working. Thank you!!!

Been there and done that plenty of times on all kinds of things.

To prevent future issues with someone ending up at one of those unused folders, you should probably remove the non-lowercase folders from your server.

Remember that RW does not delete any files. It only adds or overwrites existing files. You will need to use an FTP application or your hosting company’s web-based admin (usually CPanel) and the file manger in it.

Thanks again. I went ahead and deleted all files and successfully republished all pages.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.