Google Font encoding, latin-ext

Hi,
My theme comes with a handful selection of google fonts. I am very happy with the selection but I need to use them with the latin-ext subset/encoding. I don’t know how to do it. Otherwise these fonts become useless to me.
I don’t use stacks, but I can edit CSS if needed.

First of all, you must be aware that not all Google font-families come with non-standard characters (those that are included in the latin-ext subset). So, you have to explicitly look for fonts that do include non-standard characters.

Go to Google Fonts page. In the right sidebar there is a header called “Languages”. Click on it and select the latin-extended. That will filter all available fonts that include that specific subset.

In the same sidebar, choose categories and styles of fonts that you need (like serif, sans-serif, etc). Then, click on a red “plus” marks associated with each particular font-family that you like.

At the bottom of the window, you’ll see a black bar with font-families you just selected. Click on that black bar. You will see a set of instructions on how to use those fonts in your website project, as well as the link to the page where you can test the fonts you just selected. This is very important, because not all font-families listed as having the latin-ext subset actually include all non-standard characters.

Having said all that, there is one specific Google font that is the most universal one of them all. It can be used with most languages of the world, not just latin-ext. It’s the Noto Serif and Noto Sans font-families. It is crafted in such way that it looks pretty good with all alphabets. Nothing fancy, just a solid body type of text.

Thanks. I am aware of this, but it didn’t work. I am sure the font has latin-ext subset.

That is I cannot include the google font -that my project already has- into my webpage in latin-ext.

I tried to include this to the RW head section [and edited the CSS], but it messed up all the encoding on my webpage.

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans&subset=latin-ext" rel="stylesheet">

My theme offers Open Sans, the font itself has latin-ext, but I cannot use it in latin-ext on my site.

Try this code in the “Head” tab of your “Code” panel:

<link href='https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans&subset=latin,latin-ext' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

What specific language are you going to use? Open Sans does include Cyrillic and Greek characters, but it does not include Eastern European characters, for example.

For that reason, I prefer to use Font Squirrel site, because not only I can choose my language, but also I can type specific characters I need to use and it shows me what those characters look like in the latin-ext subset of the chosen font-family.

didn’t work I am afraid, I am now writing to the theme designer to see if he has anything to say…

Foundation framework + Google Fonts (CE characters)

thanks. I simply wrote to the theme designer and he added the encoding subset to the theme css…