How get rid of numbers in the URL's

L.S.

In my website the pages that are MAIN menu items get a ‘proper’ URL name, so WITHOUT a page number in it. Like this one…

https://www.zozobanana.com/Choose-your-defense/

use code 302618 to get in

However, SUB-menu items get a URL WITH a page number in it. Like this one…

https://www.zozobanana.com/page-17/Pricing/

use code 302618 to get in

Mind you, I have given all pages proper URL names without page numbers in it, under ‘General Settings’ > ‘Browser Title’ (and ‘Folder’, for good measure), so that cannot be the issue.

Why is do those sub-menu items get page numbers in the URL? And, most importantly, is there a way to lose those digits in all the URL’s?

Thanks you for your help!

Jim

Name you page folders, keep the page name as index
Even if they are “offsite” or placeholders for sub pages

Thank you Scott.

I tried to follow your advice but I was not able to fix the issue. I am guessing I am not fully understanding what you mean by “keep the page name as index”.

Trying to follow your guidance, here’s how I filled out the meta data…

And this is what the URL looks like now…

What am I doing wrong?

Believe it or not you can completely control your own site structure by providing Folder name and Filename on the General Settings Inspector pane. (In the Meta Data section ). Folder name and Filename are not meta data so I’m not sure why those fields where located there.

Most people wisely advise having a folder and “index” (actual name of page) page for each web page. But I think there are exceptions to that. I have a section that contains about 1200 articles and I each one does not have it’s own folder and file name for reasons I won’t go into here. But just know that YOU can completely control the site “structure” and the complete URL pathname by entering your own the the field mentioned above.

Just saw your example. Put a backslash in front of your Pricing folder so it says:
/Pricing
for the folder name. The backslash basically says “Use my folder name” and don’t create one.

You might also just want to stick to all lower case for URLS.

In your example, the Folder Name would be: pricing, the File Name would be: index.php.
As Greg said you are in control of the structure, you can move the folders by specifying the path in the folder name. (Most times it’s not necessary, you can move the page order in the page list.) You can also name the pages, but that means someone would have to know the page name if they were trying to visit that page by typing the address in the browser.

For obvious things I use the forum “recommended” method of having an “index” file. For example, the site has a store, reports, directory, etc and each can be reached by “tidy” url such as:
www.mysite/reports/ -or- www.mysite/store/

But we have about 1200 reports and nobody is going to know the name of those reports nor can they guess what the path may be. There is no point to having each report named “index.php” and in it’s own folder. In fact, that would be detrimental to our specific case. The way to find things on our site is by using our search tool. This way, people can search for topics, for names, etc. I can configure our search so if a search term is in the url path it get’s a higher score in a search and is returned at the top of the page. Having the page names the same as the report name (which is usually the “topic” of the report) allows us to control search results much better.

So really, how you name your pages depends on the situation. But the users of this forum are correct in that for most people an “index” page in a folder for each page works well.

My only point is saying all this is that YOU can determine your site structure yourself as YOU want it to be for YOUR situation. You don’t have to rely on RW’s method.

Also, it’s best to use lowercase only for the folder and filenames.

Thank you, will do!

Somehow, I cannot seem to publish my site anymore - I am trying to sort that out - so I cannot try your advice yet. However, could you please explain what each of these do exactly…

1. Browser Title

2. Folder

3. Filename

I do not yet grasp their function and how they relate to each other. I really appreciate your help!

Of course, feel free to step in there first! Thanks.

Browser Title is the page title/what shows in the browser tab
Folder is the location of the page ie. YourDomain.com/about -or- YourDomain.com/contact
File Name is just that, the name of the file. By default servers look for: index (the extension depends on page type… .html /.php, .cgi) default is .html some pages that use php end in .php

1 Like

Browser Title is also what is shown for “History” in browsers.

1 Like

A quick note if you haven’t thought of it. Since you are changing the folder structure/naming conventions it would be best practice to delete all of your previously posted files then republish versus simply republishing all. One would need to access their web server via their cpanel (or other) control panel or via an ftp client delete all files, them republish all from rapidweaver.

So, if I would want the URL for the pricing page to be…

www.zozobanana.com/pricing

I would have to go with…

Browser Title: www.zozobanana.com

Folder: /pricing

Filename: index.php

Correct?

Thank you so much for teaching me the basics!

1 Like

And when you create a page, the name you give the RW page can show up in places too. (The name that shows in the left hand page panel.) So be sure to name new pages appropriately.

For example, the Sitemap Plus stack uses page name for the Alphabetical List option.

great advice. Thanks. In this case though, since www.zozobanana.com is only my trial site/url, I suspect I do not need to do all that. You agree? Once I am happy with the site I a building I will launch it in a completely different location.

You can learn a log by exporting to a local (Mac) folder. File Menu > Export

The site won’t actually work locally without a server (MAMP) running but you can see how RW creates the file structure and such and what it’s doing. I learned a lot by publishing entire site and then sections and then single pages locally and examining exactly what happened.

1 Like

You’re almost there in my opinion. One would want their page title to be more descriptive/specific of the actual page. For instance: “Zozo Banana - Check Out our Pricing” or something along those lines. The page title helps your search engine optimization and also helps end users rediscover your info in their history, bookmarks, etc. google search yields plenty of advice on browser titles. Here’s one such resource: https://moz.com/learn/seo/title-tag

1 Like

As to your question in posting site to another location and need to delete info. Depends where the current site is posted and if web crawlers will still be able to index it. In my opinion if your current test site is published on a server that is accessed via the web and crawlers can access it, it would be best to delete that content so that search engines are not potentially sending people to two different sites. It’s like having two of the same book on a bookshelf but only wanting people to read one copy of the book (for lack of a better analogy). If your test site is effectively hidden somewhere with crawler access disabled it would be ok to leave it posted.

Also great advice above from Greg on exporting locally to examine file structure etc.

1 Like