How to import published site back into rapidweaver

Good day, does anyone know of an easy way to import (from the web) a previously published site back into Rapidweaver? Unfortunately I had to do a restore from time machine, and it didn’t have the completed site saved and I’ve lost a number of crucial elements. I’d prefer not to have to rebuild if I can get away with it. I’m sort of new to this, so any help would be much appreciated please and thank you.

Hi Sherry,

if it’s a site that’s been uploaded in the usual way, there’s no way to import it back into Rapidweaver I’m afraid. As RW publishes, it takes the project file and exports into the various files and folders that go to make up your web site, but it’s a one-way process.

You may be able to copy and paste parts of the site into the backed up older version of the project but that’s the best you can hope for I’m afraid.

Rob

2 Likes

I’ve done exactly what @robbeattie describes. It works well and you can even do it with sites produced with other software. It’s quite a lot of work, of course, but better than starting from scratch.

1 Like

Thanks guys appreciate the assistance. I’ll rebuild over the weekend as I’m unfamiliar with the copy paste method you described. As you can tell I’m quit the novice at this - but rebuilding gives me more practice and I’ve learned a very useful lesson - leave Time machine on. :+1::smile:

1 Like

One thing to think of is to turn on the Project Backup in the publish settings. This way your project file gets uploaded to your server as well and you always have a backup there.

4 Likes

Good luck! Well, it doesn’t really need luck, just some hard work.

Hi Robert,

I need a little further explanation. I don’t work with a server - I only use my MacBook and external for backup. If I employ this function and haven’t saved it under time machine, and I have to restore again (hopefully never thanks Sierra) won’t I be in the same boat?

The server is where your website is located, so when it publishes your site to your server, it sends a copy of the project file to the server as well.

1 Like

How about an external disk and Time Machine…plus, additional automatic nightly backups for each day of the week for redundancy? No way I would trust a web site provider with my RW project files. But then, that’s just me. I have Time Machine, plus Dropbox, plus rotational daily backups and I still have another copy on my nightly clone to my pocket drive. The pocket drive travels with me always in case of fire or theft of my computers.

1 Like

There’s no such thing as having ‘too many’ backup strategies.

1 Like

btw… I’ll mention this too. Some of the “low end” website providers have an interesting blurb in their “fine print” concerning the “unlimited disk space” selling point. They found that some people used their web space for all kinds of storage so they allow only files that are associated DIRECTLY with the website itself. I had to change web providers as I had an account that advertised “unlimited” disk space and “unlimited” bandwidth but my site was actually shut down by the host due to “abuse” of their policy. They told me I used too much space and I had too much activity (bandwidth). When I mentioned the account was “unlimited space” and “unlimited bandwidth” they pointed out fine print in the agreement that said something like “as long as it doesn’t affect other users on the shared server.”

Bottom line… my website was shut down without notice. Needless to say, I went and obtained another provider immediately (and upgraded to a VPS). So… if you store RW Project files on your server… make sure you are within your service agreement.

And funny… about the same time they shut me down for “too much activity” I was getting emails from them wanting to sell me tools to “obtain more visitors” to my site. :slight_smile: You can’t make this stuff up…

2 Likes

Hello:

Thanks for all the information. Lesson learned, keep time machine plugged in so I always have a back up. The sites I create are pretty low end, and not much activity, they’re basically information purposes only, so i’m not overly concerned about traffic yet…I am definitely not at the level you gentlemen are discussing, but I am learning…cheers and thanks again. This site is great…:slight_smile:

Hey Sherry,
I would suggest trying to save your project file on the server as well, just as a secondary backup.

I don’t have access to a server - I just use my Mac and the storage there with time machine back up and I don’t have access to the host server either - so I’m sort of limited. Should I invest in a server?

The “server” referred to is the web server where your website resides. It’s where your pages go to when you “publish” (upload) them. Refer to page 30 in the manual. https://realmacsoftware.com/resources/rapidweaver_manual_v7.pdf

Thanks I printed the manual - will read through this weekend - this site is great - you guys are so helpful and pleasant with a newbie :+1::blush:

1 Like

WHo was the website (Host) that shut you down in this way?

this happened to me the other day. I got shut down for too much activity.

What provider did you eventually choose? I’m with Fast Comet now.

So much for “unlimited” bandwidth and downloads as was advertised… This was HostGator. I immediately moved to a different host.

Note that they did not even contact me with a warning… they simply shut down the site. At the same time I was getting marketing emails on “how to increase your visitors.” HA!

This is a screenshot of HostGator email to me…

Looks like HostGator is relegated to the bottom of the league. Terrible way to deal with a client!
It is difficult to know how much traffic a Host will allow, unless they forewarn you.
I am with GoDaddy at the moment and have not yet had any problems but I am still going to email them and ask about traffic volume that they allow.
Does this ‘traffic’ include the downloads from your web site?