How to import published site back into rapidweaver

YEs… we have lot’s of free downloads. With HostGator it was free video downloads that caused the issue. I don’t blame a host for “limiting” downloads on a shared server… but I DO blame them for advertising it as “no limits” (on anything) and then just shutting you down. We are now on a VPS and I moved all our free downloads to Amazon S3 so they are served up from there.

Ok. Host Gator. Thanks for the info.

And who did you switch too? Is it better now?

We’re using inMotion right now. Been with them for about a year I guess… no issues at all. But as I said, we upgrade to a VPS and moved free downloads to Amazon S3 so the stress on our virtual server is a lot less.

1 Like

As a host myself that offers unlimited space and bandwidth; while I don’t condone shutting down the site without contacting the owner. I do have language in my TOS that specifically state that I have the option to terminate based on abuse of services as this is a shared environment. If one is going to have a very high bandwidth site they need to go to VPS as they can cause disruption of other environments in a shared environment.

When you are using a shared hosting environment you need to understand what that entails and host accordingly. Congratulations on having a high bandwidth site and good luck to you. I am sure you will be much happier with a VPS.

Unlimited means being reasonable with your resources and recognizing what you are getting for the price. In my case I charge $100.00 a year for all you can eat. I believe it is a very good deal and have never had to shut down a site for access bandwidth. I have had to send out warnings for using the disk space for purposes not related to the site, i.e. Dropbox type of usage. Once I explained the situation there was no issue going forward.

Like I said… my issue was with their advertising practices. I fully understand the implications of high traffic on a shared server but the advertising and and “Package Info” states “Unlimited Storage” “Unlimited Bandwidth” etc etc etc. Which obviously wasn’t true by fact that they shut down the site without notice.

I owned my own retail store for five years and I never used deceptive advertising practices so I’m very sensitive to it. Saw a BOGO sale on tires once which we all know is “Buy One - Get One” but when you looked at the fine print the “Get One” was “at half price.” That is not “Buy One - Get One” … that is “Buy One - Get One Half Price”. Ha! Being a bit light-hearted here! so don’t take too seriously!

Interesting, but I do not know what a VPS is - can you explain?
On my site I offer free downloads of just the first 3 pages of each of the tutorials I write (in pdf format) if the visitor would like the full tutorial (also free) I ask them to contact me by email and I then send it back as an attachment.
How does Amazon S3 work then? would it be helpful for me?

Amazon S3 is how I avoided being shut down on my site. I have 130 GB of audio files that I want to make available to Devotees around the world.

So, you just sign up or log into the amazon console (it can be the same password for your normal amazon account) and go to S3 etc…

The Stacks4Stacks Playlister support page is where I learned how to set up my S3 buckets. I bought that stack and it has been very helpful. He explains step-by-step how to set up amazon S3 etc. because it’s one way of setting up the Playlister stack.

VPS means virtual private server. It’s a step above a shared server. With a VPS you have your own server but not quite like having a dedicated server (which costs even more than a VPS).

You are a host? Are you a re-seller? I was thinking of getting the A2 re-seller account but I don’t like the fact that A2 charges more after the first 2 years (the discount applies only to new customers and only the first 2 years - then it’s double the price). I don’t agree with that policy.

Fast Comet doesn’t do that so that’s why I decided to go with them.

VPS info

Amazon S3 basically is simply storage. You upload your downloadable products to S3 and then when people download the file it is using S3 resources from that account and not your web server bandwidth, etc. It takes “stress” off of your website to allow faster page loads, etc.

I use LinkLokURL in conjunction with S3. LinkLofURL interfaces very nicely with S3 service.

A VPS is a “Virtual Private Server” this is a server that is separate from a shared environment. Basically it is almost like a colocated server in that it is like having your own server. Any bandwidth or space issue only affect you not anyone else because the server just has your information. Kind of like hosting your own server in your closet. You have full control and don’t share. If there are issues with bandwidth though you are responsible for increasing throughput or having your customers get a busy error from your server.

I’m a reseller. I do it as a value add. If I build a site I host for free for the first year and then charge after that. I go through GreenGeeks. I have been fairly happy with them. They are responsive and available 24/7 when I have and issue.

The only problem I have had is having the server hacked but they were quick to clean it up and kick off the offending party on the shared server.

I’m grandfathered on their unlimited plan. I don’t know if they offer that anymore. They also white box domain registration so I can do that for clients too. A one stop shop.

The only bad thing I have found about reselling hosting is that you are the POC when things go bad. You act as the middle man. I have only had issues a couple of times but they were usually on a holiday weekend when I was out having fun. Have to stop that and get the issue fixed for a client.

I have a similar question, If someone add something to my website, I understand that I can not import back to RW. But if I wait, as RW has a backup option (weekly) can I after a week use the backup, as the backup will contain the adjustments made?
Sorry I am not a geek, but a 64-year old man trying to build a website.

Thanking You in advance
Robert

The short answer is no.

RW is a project based system, any changes made outside of the RW project (with the exception of content via one of the many CMS systems) will be overwritten on the next publish.

The backup system just makes a compressed copy of the project on the server.

Maybe if you explain further what is being “added” by someone else, we can help you find a solution.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

Places like Fiverr offer services. One of the service is for example SEO.
https://www.fiverr.com/akinc1/provide-extensive-on-page-seo-for-your-site?context_referrer=subcategory_listing&source=gallery-listing&ref_ctx_id=2eecfbad-ff8c-49be-b91b-ac276a104213&pckg_id=1&pos=16&context_type=auto&funnel=0bfb811b-6f24-49ae-a01c-a60847e2b519

They fix things in my website and hopefully I get a better ranking. But when I “update” my website, it overrides what they put in.

I hope this makes sense. I would like to go on where they stopped.

My URL is: www.SafeWorkConsultancy.com.au

Thanking you for your support!! I love RW.

Kind Regards

Robert Lammers

I would be very cautious about letting someone like that edit your site directly.
The link you gave says:

I will audit select pages on your site and provide recommendations

You should be taking those “recommendations” and applying them to the RapidWeaver project, not to the outputted HTML code.

Honestly most self proclaimed “SEO Experts” are full of it and are a rip-off.

You want better rankings from search engines, spend the effort and money on better original well organized content.

3 Likes

The SEO helper stacks from JoeWorkman are really useful!

1 Like

I suspected that was the case, as @teefers Doug said, be very cautious. Some of these guys may do more harm than good. In general a very bad idea IMO.
As @Fuellemann Jan pointed out. A better ay would be for you to get SEO helper from @joeworkman https://www.weavers.space/stacks/seo-helper